You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush tip continues to revert to default brush with every stroke

I am new to Affinity so perhaps I am missing something basic here, but every time I select the specific brush I want to use, a default brush replaces it upon my stroke of the pencil. After drawing my line, I have to then go back to the Brushes window and reselect the original brush I intended on using. In other words, from line to line, the default brush takes overs/reverts back. 

I cannot seem to find any settings whereby I can select and set a default brush. 

In Adobe Illustrator, the last selected/used brush would also be the brush of your next stroke of the pencil. Why is it different in Affinity? I would like to use my own selected brush consistently. Can some please explain how to do this?

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi @KDH ,

Welcome to the forums. 

This is expected with the pencil tool. The pencil tool is designed to work with "flat" brushes, as in a real pencil. You can change the stroke, but it would be individually for each stroke. If you want to keep the brushes selected, you would have to use the vector brush tool. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Thank you @gabrielM. I thought I was losing my mind.

Just for edification purposes, what is the reason one can't select a different brush tip to use consistently? Seems odd not to offer such a simple feature/option.

Cheers. 

44 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

A pencil (in real life) has only got one tip, and the shape is consistent.

A pencil (in real life) becomes more and more blunt as you use it. stirthepot.gif Unless it’s a mechanical pencil, of course. :D

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

A pencil (in real life) becomes more and more blunt as you use it. stirthepot.gif Unless it’s a mechanical pencil, of course. :D

Shape, αℓƒяє∂ (as in round), not size (as in blunt/sharp). 

5 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Shape, αℓƒяє∂ (as in round), not size (as in blunt/sharp). 

OK, Gabe, I’ll let you off this time! :P I guess we need a ‘Non-mechanical’ option so that a pencil stroke can broaden with use, perhaps with a ‘Softness’ setting to determine how quickly the tip goes blunt.

Alfred spacer.png

5 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I guess we need a ‘Non-mechanical’ option so that a pencil stroke can broaden with use, perhaps with a ‘Softness’ setting to determine how quickly the tip goes blunt.

Do we really need that? :S  It seems about as useful as the 'eye candy' frivolity of the crayons in Apple's color picker gradually getting blunter the more they are used.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

19 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Do we really need that?

No, of course not! I was just taking Gabe’s “pencil (in real life)” analogy and following it through to its logical conclusion. ;)

Alfred spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same problem, and I clearly do not understand the answers and explanations. Sorry ! :(

I would imagine was that a brush that was selected when starting a drawing with the pencil tool was remaining selected for the next drawing. And setting the defaults does not work with a textured brush. I do not find where to change this behaviour.

And the fact that it is a "pencil" for me should be related to the way the path is defined, not to the brush to be used.

EDIT: I was saying behaviour was different in the past. I have restored previous releases and checked. I see behaviour is the same... So my memory is failing. I have modified the related part of my message.