You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush tool hardness shortcut

I want to assign the { and } keys as shortcuts to change the (brush) hardness, as in Photoshop, but I can only find the keyboard shortcuts for size change which are the expected defaults. I don't like the mouse based shortcuts for some reason; probably too many actions involved.

• Staff

Hi @henryg,

You can only set shortcuts for Size, not for Hardness. I'm afraid the only option at the moment would be to use the current shortcut: 

You have to press and hold both the ⌥ (option/alt) key and the right mouse button (keep the right-mouse button pressed as well) then while doing it left-click/drag horizontally to set brush size and vertically to set the brush hardness.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

As @GabrielMsays with the shortcut but it may help (or not) but once you start to drag with the mouse, you can release the right mouse button and the Alt/Option key.

The brush hardness/size will keep adjusting as you move the mouse until you release the left button.

In fact, I press Alt then press both mouse buttons at once (the actual order you press them in doesn't seem to matter) drag a little then release the right button and Alt key. I can then adjust the brush with just the left button down until I get the size and hardness I want.

The main thing is to hold all three buttons down until you start the drag so Affinity knows what you want to do.

I find that a bit easier :)

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

8 hours ago, toltec said:

The main thing is to hold all three buttons down until you start the drag so Affinity knows what you want to do.

I find that a bit easier :)

Thanks, that's what I am doing, or trying to get used to doing ^_^  I find I tend to move the mouse and change the wrong setting, but I'll either have to get used to it or use the toolbar sliders.