You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi Everyone,

Just started using Designer, and I have a question that's probably been answered 100x...

If there any way to make a template, where I can quite easily drop in ready to print business cards, in the layout I need for my card cutter?

My intention is to design and print directly from Designer, without having to export and change programmes multiple times.

i tried making rectangular boxes on an A3 page, where i need them to be, but i cant seem to easily replace them. i remember in serif x8 i could change a box to a picture frame and select the picture i want to fill with, i cant seem to find this option in Designer.

Any help, info, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. the attached pdf shows the layout i need.

Publication1.pdf

• Staff

Hi Thomas Wolff,

Welcome to the forums. 

You can use the gradient tool for this. Creates your shape placeholders, select the gradient tool, change the type to Bitmap and you're ready to go. 

Alternatively, you can use the File > Place to embed the image directly. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

If I wasn't using an imposition application (which I would because this is easier in one), I would create the master template for the business cards.

Create a single business card using a template the size of one of the positions in the master template. Export this single business card to PDF. Place the PDF in the template, say the upper left position. Make a symbol of that placed PDF business card and populate all the positions in the master layout template.

Make a new biz card, also from you single instance biz card template. Generate a new PDF.

Edit the main symbol in the master layout PDF. It needs to open in a new tab. Delete everything. Place the new PDF into it. Close the tab. All instances will now be the new PDF and all positioned as setup.

Once you do this a couple times, the change to a new business card takes seconds.

Mike

There are a few features in designer that will help you mimic a 'Step and Repeat Template' for single business card design or multiple designs. There are no options for variable data production at the moment so multiple designs need to be manually produced

Create 2 separate files: as MikeW has suggested

1.  Master template (A3/A4 as suggested) with predefined holding elements (Rectangular objects defined by size of business card layout and/or bleed settings) [std 88 x 55 mm+- bleed as e.g]

2. Business Card Design Template at required size (completing by adding design elements) save as separate file.

After this you have several options to edit/create the template

Master Template

1. As Artboards can be nested just like other elements produce a template with a Master Artboard containing a layout of nested Artboards defined by the size of the original Business Card.
2. Use layers and define a single rectangle with the dimensions of card design on each layer which can act as a Clipping Mask to contain the Business Card design. Place grouped elements inside with CNTRL+ALT+V or drag using layers panel
3. Individually import a business card/s and position manually. (set up grid using grid options to assist) onto a blank sheet Use Grid and Snapping Options Axis 1=85; Axis 2=55 Gutter=xx as a rough guide.

Business Card Template/s
1. Create design as separate file (Use layers to define Background/Graphic and text elements). Add initial artboard to contain design will give you option of copying Artboards between files

Helpers
1.Use Place image tool to embed file in master template [within a target layer or artboard] Using the place image tool gives you the options of editing the embedded file directly and the ability to switch artboards contained within the business card design (>1 design or front/back configurations)
2. Make full use of Layers Panel and it's ability to copy/place/duplicate layers between files. (This includes Artboards and all elements contained within). 
3. Use global colours/effects/Adjustments to control elements
4. Use Export Persona for greater control of your export options (target individual artboards with multiple output options) 

If you want flexibility..Place image tool is a good option! or experiment with all three:)

Hope this helps

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1