You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More cores, GHz or a better GPU for better paint performance?

I am using Affinity Photo more and more for painting/illustrating and see some performance issues with very large brushes (800px +). I am on a 20 core/40 threads workstation with tons of RAM. The GPU is a bit older (Quadro K4000) and single core performance is also not stellar. I am wondering what the paint engine relies on: a fast GPU, high CPU clocks or rather more cores? And are there optimisations on the way for smoother strokes?

I would be curious about  that, too. Certain painting software app I know uses the CPU cache for large brushes, and pretty soon is going to use multiple cores to improve brush performance.... I have no idea in AP. Maybe CPU, mostly ? We are entering in a market where some apps do rely heavily in GPU, others in CPU, but in different ways, each. What's the stock/turbo clock in single core of that behemoth you own ? I'm just curious.And that's a pro card, tho from 2010.. and not top of the line, but still.... I believe a GTX 1060 is faster, it has much more clock speed, it has cuda cores, it has better specs in most departments.  Still for working in wireframe mode, any 3D viewport, I'd be to believe the quadro would do much better. As well as for displaying less dithering in a professional monitor, and better color (maybe) thanks to allowing 10bit, through a display port. Might be not related to your machine (although maybe if it has a lot of cores but single core is like 1.6 GHz...). Anyway, cards are now prohibitively expensive with the mining.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.