You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do not confuse the export with the saving. When you exported your file it would have given you the window for you to select the name and location for the exported file. Have you looked there? After the export, your file is still an Affinity file, and if you save it it will save as an .afphoto file. You can ignore this step and just close the file, clicking on No when asked if you want to save.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

55 minutes ago, Alan Clark said:

Thank you. I have tried File - Export, then selecting a Tiff file, but my photo still saves as an Affinity file. ???

Help, please...

Assuming you're on Windows (if not, the rest of this may not apply):

"Affinity files" will have a filetype of .afphoto (for Affinity Photo) or .afdesign (for Affinity Design). That is, you'll have a filename something like myfile.afphoto when viewed in Windows/File Explorer. (Note: By default, Windows does not show the filetype part of the name. You can change that, which may make things less confusing.)

TIFF files will have a filename like myfile.tiff, instead.

Windows will also show you an icon which indicates the default program for opening the file. If Affinity Photo is the registered "default" program for opening TIFF files then that icon will be the Affinity Photo icon.

If you're on Windows, can you clarify which of these situations you're referring to? I suspect it's the latter one, and you're just seeing that Affinity is now the default program that Windows will use to open TIFF files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

John and Walt, thank you for your help, but I still can't solve the problem.

Here is a bit more detail.  I scan black and white negatives as 16 bit greyscale files, and direct them into My Pictures where I save them as tiff files.

In Affinity Photo, when I want to work on one of these files I go to File - Open and in My Pictures find the file I want to work on.  I highlight it, check that the box at the bottom  (next to Open) is showing Tiff file, then click on Open.

When the file opens in Affinity Photo a message comes up saying that Affinity Photo has assigned a working profile (D50) to this unprofiled document.

After working on this file I want to save it as a tiff file in My Pictures, but so far have not figured out how to do this. If I go to File -Export, then select  tiff file then export it, then My Pictures does open up. I can change the name of the file if I want to, select Tiff file, but when I click on Save, the file is saved as an Affinity file.

Alan

2 hours ago, Alan Clark said:

I should have added that the file can be saved as a Jpeg, if I go through file - Personas - export.  But it won't let me save it as a Tiff. It keeps saving it as an Affinity file.

It's correct that you can't Save as a TIFF. You need to Export as a TIFF.

Are you saying that you used File->Export, chose TIFF, and ended up with a file named  something. afphoto instead of one named something.tiff?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's correct that you can't Save as a TIFF. You need to Export as a TIFF.

Are you saying that you used File->Export, chose TIFF, and ended up with a file named  something. afphoto instead of one named something.tiff?

Hello Walt.

Yes.  But all the files I have tried and failed to save as tiff files had previously been processed in Photoshop and saved there as tiff files.

I have just scanned a fresh negative and saved it as a tiff file  in Pictures ,then  opened it in Affinity Photo, worked on it and saved it through Export, chose Tiff, and BINGO! it saved as a tiff when I saved it back in Pictures.

Alan