You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo to sketch in Design?

Can I convert a photo to pencil sketch in Affinity Designer or do I need Affinity Photo?

I have read the tutorials but they all are using Affinity Photo and I have not found any that use Affinity Designer.

Thanks

Bill

Hi Bill welcome to the Affinity Forum, 

I'm sure you could in both Draw Persona  5ab9f2fe20c37_ScreenShot2018-03-27at08_29_00.png.2b7958d69230b0ce2bac565c2f5184d6.png and Pixel Persona 5ab9f2fd8e815_ScreenShot2018-03-27at08_29_30.png.312a1b37f79071b89a74296b6cf0ae1f.png I think a lot of this depends on how much time you have, what tools you have and what skills you have. There are plugins to emulate sketch drawing such as Akvis Sketch but if you want your own personal take on the image you want to turn into a sketch then using a decent tablet and pen is the way to go. You can create or buy brushes that will simulate cross hatching, pencil sketch strokes etc then its really just a matter of spending half an hour to a few hours doodling until you end up with something you like.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If by convert you mean something other than manually tracing a sketched version, IMO Affinity Photo is the way to go. In AP you can use macros, for example this one, to automate part of the process if you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

You can do the same in Designer here for simple sketch like effects of a photo in pixel mode.

designer_sketch.jpg.1d95286673f0afc6c8acd9cc70b4a64b.jpg

Though due to the actual lack of macro recording or scripting support in AD you can't automate the processing steps. However, since you need only few steps for this it's quickly done.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2