You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm experimenting with Affinity Photo since a week now and I must admit that I'm very pleased and surprised that there is such a competitive equivalent of Photoshop!

There are two things I would like to comment/ask for help:

1. Once I have cropped an image, if I want to make the crop bigger again, I do not see the rest of the picture grayed out or something and this way I don't see the edge of the image. That's how Photoshop handles the crop tool and I find it very handy!

2. I was really hoping to be able to open an Image Sequence. In Photoshop I'm able to do so, set the fps of the sequence and then render this sequence as a video file! This was the workflow I was going through for my time-lapses and it was very much appreciated as a feature inside Photoshop!

Any help/recommendations are more than welcomed!

I've taken my decision, I'm not going back to Adobe's products. Price model is unacceptable moreover when Affinity Photo is even better in the way it handles some tools. Live feedback for blend modes, brushes, gradient tool etc are SO POWERFUL and flexible! Congrats to the team!

Alex  

As a limited alternative for complete cropping you can apply a visibility rectangular mask (rect mask) to the image and adjust that mask rect size instead, though you will have transparent left over parts of the initial canvas area size this way.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Thank you both for the quick replies! I agree that since Affinity Photo is PHOTO (like Photoshop btw), it makes totally sense to focus all the strength on all sorts of photo collage tools. On the other hand forms of arts are evolving spreading their branches sometimes and getting into grounds of other forms of art expression. Time-Lapse is on the edge where one cannot deny that it's not photography but cannot deny it's not video either!

Anyway, I would be personally very happy if Affinity Photo will at some point include this feature. I got the app today. It took me only a week to take the decision since it convinced me since day one about it's abilities!

All the best!

• 1 year later...

Professional time-lapse photography first and foremost requires processing of RAW files as a batch, synced with changes from one image. This is currently the only thing that still has me stuck with the competition, since Serif took care of my other gripes in v1.7. Video creation is not for a photo editing tool, and it would serve few properly to have this functionality added to Affinity Photo. This is really a task for a professional video editing application, where further colour work can be done, and 2D or even 3D camera movements can be emulated. You can find a tool to do that free. BMD's DaVinci Resolve is currently the best, and it will immediately recognize your .tiff sequence (the format you'll want to save in from RAW) as footage on import.