You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to fill layer with pattern?

In Photoshop there's simply a layer option called "pattern overlay" which does exactly what it sounds like. In AP I can't find anything like that but a gradient tool has the option bmp which allows us to use images as patterns. Problem with this is that gradient tool only works with fill layers, curves, paths (if we want to assign pattern to certain objects). On a pixel layer, gradient tool fills entire layer and that is not what I want.  Is there anything else I can do?

Layer > New Fill Layer, choose Bitmap under Type: and pick your pattern

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 hours ago, Mandu said:

On a pixel layer, gradient tool fills entire layer and that is not what I want.

What specifically do you want? If it is to create the effect of a partially filled pixel layer, you can use masking or layer clipping to do that. If you are not familiar with those features, the Affinity Photo - Clipping vs Masking video tutorial should show you how they can be used for that effect. Combined with placing (embedding) a bitmap pattern file you should be able to get what you want.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Vague questions get vague answers.

OK, having looked at my Photoshop CC, I think what is being talked about here is an option in the Layer Style. Pattern Overlay is a Style that can be applied to an objects layer.

Maybe explaining what objects you want to apply a pattern to would clarify the question a bit more?

You could create a pattern layer and drag the object such as a shape onto that layer and it will create a mask with that shape as the knockout, so the pattern shows through the shape. The pattern will stay static, not move but you can drag the shape around over the pattern.

This is just one of the ways to get a pattern to appear to be within an object.

PS Pattern Overlay.PNG

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

OK, having looked at my Photoshop CC, I think what is being talked about here is an option in the Layer Style, a Pattern Overlay is a Style that can be applied to an objects layer.

@Mandu seems to be asking about filling pixel layers with patterns, possibly only some part of them with a pattern. That should be doable in Affinity Photo using masking or layer clipping.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I feel a video coming on lol!

Hello all, sorry for being unclear. R C-R was right. All I wanted was to apply a pattern to the content of my pixel layer (not to the entire layer). As you know pixel layer doesn't support curves/paths so I couldn't just use gradient tool to fill the object with pattern. I simply solved the problem by inserting/masking the pattern layer (fill layer) into the contents of pixel layer. Sorry and thanks again.