You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

When I work with RAW files, I found out that the output size being different from the original size and the aspect ratio of the post-process files are slightly different. However I do not have any issues working with JPEG files. I am using a Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (previously an EOS 50D).

Is this an expected behavior or am I the only one who encounters this?

屏幕快照 2017-12-14 11.36.23.png

屏幕快照 2017-12-14 11.38.21.png

屏幕快照 2017-12-14 11.38.44.png

• Staff

Hi y.yang and Welcome to the Forums,

This is to be expected.  Photo's raw engine interpolates edge pixels rather than cropping them off, which is what most cameras and other software packages do, which means we can load a bit more data.  When you are working with JPEG files they will have been processed by the camera which will be applying its own crop or resize to a set ratio.

Hi stokerg,

Thank you for your time and reply.

I was previously using Aperture until the point it no longer supports my current camera. With Aperture (alongside other software like Photoshop, Lightroom, DxO OpticsPro etc.) however, I have never encountered this issue.

The change of size, minute as it is, does bring some inconvenience to me.

May this issue be rectified in the upcomong updates.

• Staff

Hi y.yang,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you change the RAW engine used by Affinity Photo to Apple (Core Image RAW) you will get the standard (cropped) dimensions.

To do this go to menu View ▸ Assistant Manager... in Develop Persona and change the first dropdown (RAW Engine) to Apple (Core Image RAW). Reload the RAW file for the new setting take effect.

• Staff
27 minutes ago, y.yang said:

The change of size, minute as it is, does bring some inconvenience to me.

May this issue be rectified in the upcomong updates.

[Edit] Beaten!

One solution is to switch the RAW engine over to Apple Core Image, which obeys crop instructions and will discard the edge pixels. With a RAW file open, you can click the suit/tuxedo icon to open the Assistant. On this dialog, you can then change RAW Engine from Serif Labs to Apple (Core Image RAW).

The processing will differ slightly - Core Image RAW performs some automatic noise reduction and colours may differ slightly from Serif Labs, but your pixel resolution will be consistent with other software.

Hope that helps! I've attached a GUI shot below:

raw_engine.jpg

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials