You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am considering changing my workflow based on Adobe “Bridge + Camera Raw + Photoshop” on Windows to another product and I was pointed to Affinity Photo.

Before trying I would like to check if this makes sense at.
So if possible I would like to profit from your experience to help me make a start on some questions to see if this a road worth pursuing for me.

I use Bridge for photo selection, Camera Raw for work on photos and Photoshop for refined work and printing (with color management).
  1. Can I do these with Affinity?
  2. Can Affinity support non-destructive workflow?
  3. Does Affinity support colors management and preview with other color profiles?
  4. How does it manage printing? Can I print letting Affinity manage color profiles as I do in Photoshop?
  5. Can Affinity read and use my existing CR2 files with the companion XMP file generated by Adobe Camera Raw  (these XMP files contain not only the IPTC data, but also the work on the photo I did with Camera Raw)
  6. Can Affinity read the Photoshop PSD files? I use layers layer masks and have Smart Objects embedded.

Many thanks for your patience and help.
Regards

• Staff

Hi zarzash,

Welcome to the forums.

Affinity Photo isn't a Digital Asset Manager like Bridge, this may be an area we look into for future developments. It can open and develop RAW files, see this link for a full list of supported cameras, the Develop persona is a destructive process. After developing you can switch to the other personas, such as Photo for you to further refine, including non-destructive adjustments. Soft Proofing is available as an adjustment layer to be applied after editing has been completed which uses profiles installed within the app and the OS. The app uses the OS for printing, some colour management options are available, see this video tutorial for more information. It's not possible for Affinity to read data stored in XMP files at the moment, it's something that has been requested and may be added in a future update. PSD files can be imported into Affinity however some elements are not supported such as Smart Objects. 

Our developers have plans to add more features that have been requested to the app as development continues, such as a non-destructive develop layer and tool improvements. 

There is a free 10 day trial available to try if you wish using this link.

9 minutes ago, Lee D said:

There is a free 10 day trial available to try if you wish using this link.

That link takes me to a general page about Affinity Photo. I had to scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to find the Free trial signup link.

Please note that the 10-day period runs continuously from the moment you first launch the app, so you should try to ensure that you don't start your trial just before you're going to be away from your computer for two weeks!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 26/11/2017 at 5:05 PM, zarzash said:
I use Bridge for photo selection, Camera Raw for work on photos and Photoshop for refined work and printing (with color management).

If you decide to unsubscribe from Adobe CC, you can still download a free version of Bridge for your Asset Management.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630