You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does anyone know of a quicker way of setting the stroke thickness.

Clicking on the stroke bar opens a menu, then you have to drag the slider or enter a value. It seems there should be a much easier way, like an entry box on the Context toolbar.

Or am I missing something?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

You could drag the Stroke Studio panel out so it is undocked & place it somewhere more convenient.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.5 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
A
ll 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 minutes ago, toltec said:

Not on a PC, poor cousins, remember.

Are you sure this does not work on Windows? Have you tried clicking & dragging on the "Stroke" tab name out to the left of the (I assume) Right Studio panel?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.5.5 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
A

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Are you sure this does not work on Windows? Have you tried clicking & dragging on the "Stroke" tab name out to the left of the (I assume) Right Studio panel?

There is no Stroke panel in Affinity Photo.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.5.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Yep, left click, right click, double click, alt click, control click.

stroked.png

3 minutes ago, toltec said:
6 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There is an entry box to the right of the stroke width slider.

No. It is just a display.

Yes, I deleted that part of my previous post when I noticed that you had written

9 hours ago, toltec said:

you have to drag the slider or enter a value

You can only enter a value in the box next to the slider. I agree that it would be more convenient if we could enter a value directly into a box next to the stroke weight button on the Context toolbar.

Alfred spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

You can only enter a value in the box next to the slider. I agree that it would be more convenient if we could enter a value directly into a box next to the stroke weight button on the Context toolbar.

I have submitted an appropriate request through the official channels. Having seen the number of feature requests though, I am not overly hopeful of a quick response.

Don't you just hate it when Mac users are better off ? >:(

Just now, toltec said:

I have submitted an appropriate request through the official channels. Having seen the number of feature requests though, I am not overly hopeful of a quick response.

Don't you just hate it when Mac users are better off ? >:(

I don't think Mac users are any better off in this particular case. @R C-R referred to the "Right Studio panel", which is why I responded by pointing out that (unlike AD) APh doesn't have one.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, toltec said:

I forgot to mention it was about Photo :$

I think I knew that! ;)

Alfred spacer.png

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

There is no Stroke panel in Affinity Photo.

Ah, silly me. Since this was about strokes I wrongly assumed the app was AD.

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

I don't think Mac users are any better off in this particular case. @R C-R referred to the "Right Studio panel", which is why I responded by pointing out that (unlike AD) APh doesn't have one.

Mac users do not have a Strokes panel in AP but both right & left Studio panels are supported in both AD & AP:

59c640d640f39_studiopanels.png.727db4edb17991c1e9f5f7f54e3e24c9.png

A

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Mac users do not have a Strokes panel in AP but both right & left Studio panels are supported in both AD & AP:

Arggh! More confusion!! When I said "APh doesn't have one", I was referring to the Strokes panel. Just like the Mac version, the Windows version has both a Left Studio and a Right Studio (but it lacks separate options for showing/hiding each of the two halves).

Alfred spacer.png

34 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Just like the Mac version, the Windows version has both a Left Studio and a Right Studio (but it lacks separate options for showing/hiding each of the two halves).

I did not know Windows lacked the separate show/hide settings. Is there at least an "all or nothing" Hide/Show Studio option like the one in my screenshot below the individual ones for the Left & Right studios?

I don't know if you can see it clearly in the screenshot but I have assigned the tilde as a keyboard shortcut to show/hide the Left Studio. Because of a bug in the Mac version (fixed in the current beta) I use this all the time because I have put the Library & Macro panels in the Left Studio & the bug causes the Left Studio to reappear on launch or after changing personas, whether or not I have previously hidden it.

I don't know if that has anything to do with the missing show/hide options in Windows but maybe the 1.6 Windows version will get them as a result of the beta fix in the Mac version?

A

13 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't know if that has anything to do with the missing show/hide options in Windows but maybe the 1.6 Windows version will get them as a result of the beta fix in the Mac version?

There is a Hide Studio option, but even in the latest beta there are no separate options for showing/hiding the Left Studio or the Right Studio.

Alfred spacer.png