You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am confused about when I open in Affinity New 8.5 x 11" page that in Layers you don't see anything like

in Serif Photoplus you would see a background copy so you could draw a rectangle shape or other figures.

Once you open a new page what are the steps to see in the layers panel a copy and use the pen tool

on it to draw curves.  Please provide how to use the new page and see what is happening in the layers panel.

• Staff

Hi DonS

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In Affinity you don't need to have a layer where to place other objects inside. You can create one if you want for organisation purposes (click the third icon on the bottom right section of the Layers panel counting from right) but you don't have to do it. Each object has/generates its own layer (note there's different layers types - look at the label between parentheses after the layer's name in the Layers panel) so you can start drawing immediately on canvas.

For organisation purposes use the Add Layer button on the bottom of the layers panel as described above. This is the equivalent of the regular layers most people are used too. You can change the colour of these type of layers right-clicking on them in the Layers panel and selecting Properties. All objects placed inside them will have bounding boxes/handles with the same colour as the one you selected for that layer when you select them on canvas.

For organisation purposes use the Add Layer button on the bottom of the layers panel as described above. This is the equivalent of the regular layers most people are used too. You can change the colour of these type of layers right-clicking on them in the Layers panel and selecting Properties. All objects placed inside them will have bounding boxes/handles with the same colour as the one you selected for that layer when you select them on canvas.

Is this supposed to happen in the Windows or Mac versions?  In the Mac versions (beta 1.6) of both Designer and Photo, right-clicking in the layer panel as you suggest does not list Properties as an option.  What am I doing wrong or not understanding here?

Is this supposed to happen in the Windows or Mac versions?  In the Mac versions (beta 1.6) of both Designer and Photo, right-clicking in the layer panel as you suggest does not list Properties as an option.  What am I doing wrong or not understanding here?

Although the OP mentioned Serif PhotoPlus, I think MEB was describing an option which is only available for organizational layers in Affinity Designer. Like PhotoPlus, Affinity Photo only seems to allow us to create new layers as empty pixel layers, not organizational layers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)