You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Best Way to Make and Annotate Screen Captures?

I use Microsoft Paint now, since Affinity has no Screen Capture (at least none I could find). I have a Fujitsu Lifebook TABLET laptop. I notice that some of the posters here have handwriting on the screen captures they attach to uploads offered in answer to or assistance with my questions. 

I tried to use my Fujitsu stylus on Microsoft Paint--which should have worked. But it turns handwriting into text. I do not have Affinity for Mac, so using pen-friendly Apple devices is not an option. 

I would just like to scribble on my Affinity for Windows screenshots the way you all do. If anyone knows how to do this--or how to make screen captures with something better than Paint--I would appreciate a response. Thank you.

The Snipping Tool has been included with the OS ever since Windows Vista. A more recent utility (an experimental project from Microsoft Garage) is Snip.

I like and use FastStone Capture. The current version is shareware, at $19.95 for a lifetime licence, but the last freeware version may do all that you need.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you, both. I got my knuckles slapped when I tried to Like both your answers (see screenshot). Why on earth Likes should be disallowed is just beyond me.

Perhaps the forum is showing me the door; and I was going to post one final question about the best way to edit old Polaroids. I have watched videos and searched Affinity for "Polaroid," "yellow," and "old." I searched the internet for "affinity photo removing yellow from old photographs" but found nothing pertinent. I would dearly like to scan old Polaroids of elderly nursing home friends, but the scanner will not recognize half of them, so I tried to use Affinity to change Brightness, get rid of the jaundice, etc., but since the forum is scolding me, I will wait until next week. 

post-47374-0-14362300-1489238211_thumb.png

since the forum is scolding me, I will wait until next week

No, please don't wait. I've been scolded a few times for trying to "Like" too many posts within a 24-hour period, but I don't let it stop me posting! (And if I'm especially keen to "Like" a particular post, I'll either wait a few hours or simply "Unlike" something else to free up part of my daily quota.)

Alfred spacer.png

Now, more than an hour later when I tried to Like your response, I still couldn't!

I've spent an hour+ on lag-time on the Refine Selection tool on the Dark-and-Wintry Night trees! My processor is an i5; why this should be taking SOOO long, I don't know. I don't even know why I'm Refining the Selection, to tell you the truth. Someone said it would be a good way to do an inverse of my Never-Ending-Tree-Mask from last fall (BTW, where are George, William, and Richard? Every WW1 video I watch, I think of--was it William's?--videos).

All I want to do is to select the d*%n bare trees and make them darker. I don't see how refining the selection of the sky will achieve that.

My dear friends' old Polaroids will have to wait until next week, unless the hellish wind and snow continues.

"No Likes, Please, We're British."  :o

There is no best way for making annotated screen shots etc. since everybody might have his individual software and usage preferences here. If you do a Google search after that topic for Windows, you will find a lot of software (freeware, opensource and commercial ones) for such purposes. You then have to go through your own testing/tryout route here in order to see what you like and what fulfills your needs!

However, the most flexible software solutions here are usually those, who also can correctly autoscroll window portions (longer browser regions), can capture output from videos too and so on...!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

V-kr: I think the majority of administrators or moderators must use an Ipad Pro. I have the use of such a device, but it does not have Affinity. "They" should give Windows buyers a deal on buying Affinity for IOS... The program must be for an IOS, because only the Pro has a stylus.

The program must be for an IOS, because only the Pro has a stylus.

Affinity for iOS is on its way, but it hasn't even been released to public beta yet! Anyway, the use of a stylus is by no means restricted to the iPad Pro: some users have tablet or touchscreen PCs, but probably many more have graphics tablets.

Alfred spacer.png

But Ingrid's  :lol: Fujitsu is a touchscreen tablet PC. Paint won't let me write like the cool Affinity dudes  :P write. I am going to try to make a screen capture with Photo Plus and see if I can scribble on that. I will report back anon, as in demain

V-kr: I think the majority of administrators or moderators must use an Ipad Pro. I have the use of such a device, but it does not have Affinity. "They" should give Windows buyers a deal on buying Affinity for IOS... The program must be for an IOS, because only the Pro has a stylus.

Nah you don't need that for making annotations and screenshots, if you want to add handwriting a plain graphics tablet or a Windows notebook/tablet computer with build-in digitizer will do it. And if you don't have or use a graphics tablet or Win tablet computer etc. you just use one of those screen capture tools, open a textbox and type in with the good old plain keyboard the stuff you want to appear as an annotation. - Even some free image viewers like IrfanView do offer such things like making a screen capture and annotate on the captured image!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Nah you don't need that for making annotations and screenshots, if you want to add handwriting a plain graphics tablet or a Windows notebook/tablet computer with build-in digitizer will do it. And if you don't have or use a graphics tablet or Win tablet computer etc. you just use one of those screen capture tools, open a textbox and type in with the good old plain keyboard the stuff you want to appear as an annotation. - Even some free image viewers like IrfanView do offer such things like making a screen capture and annotate on the captured image!

I realized only yesterday that PP (at least the version I had) did not have an interface that would allow handwritten annotations. I thought that buying a Windows-based tablet--whether the millennial denotation of "tablet" or gramma's (or proctologist's  :lol: )--would allow writing on anything, including Affinity's predecessor software. But it does/did not. Only Paint allowed scribbling.

I am more interested in the scribbling part than screen capture.

I realized only yesterday that PP (at least the version I had) did not have an interface that would allow handwritten annotations.

PhotoPlus (traditionally abbreviated as "PhP" to avoid confusion with PagePlus) allows handwritten annotations with the Pencil Tool as long as you aren't zoomed in close enough for scrollbars to be displayed, which is a rather severe limitation. There are no such constraints on Pencil Tool annotations in the Affinity apps.

Alfred spacer.png