You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Grouping raster with a vector layer (?)...

Seems I read somewhere in the forums that a raster layer cannot be grouped with a vector layer...is this corrects?

I have a vector layer (logo) that won't group with another layer that has not yet been vectorized (a downloaded image). I am assuming this is the reason but learned long ago never to assume. Could this be the source of my grouping problem?

I'm working on a 3 month old MacBook Pro with AD 1.5.

My objective is simply to place (overlay) the logo image onto a download photo (non-vector).

Thanks in advance as always!

-Christo

Raster & vector layers can be grouped. The simplest way I know is to select all of them in the Layers panel (using the standard CMD-click to add items not next to each other if necessary, otherwise the standard Shift-click to select adjacent ones) & then use the CMD-G keyboard shortcut to put them all into a Group layer.

However, given your objective, all you need to do is place the logo layer above the photo one in the Layers panel. The logo layer can be vectors or a raster image, but if it is the latter, it must have a transparent background if you do not want its background color to show up in the result.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

You can group them - vector and raster layers - so they can be moved as a single object, however they remain separate entities. Yoi can select each one independently expanding the group layer in the Layers panel.

What i believe you want to do is flatten the logo and the image so they become a single raster layer. To do this select both layers and group them (menu Layer ▸ Group) then right-click the group in the Layers panel and select Rasterise..... Alternatively simply exporting the image to a format that doesn't support layers like JPG or PNG will flatten both layers.