You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector objects are defined by paths, like those connecting nodes. The path can be made visible by applying a stroke color & width to it; what it encloses can be given a fill color.

So for example, your larger hexagon shape could be created from a 14 node path that defines its edges, & a fill color applied to that. The smaller one could be created using the Polygon tool set to 6 sides to make one hexagonal path, duplicated & resized from its center to make the other path, & the smaller one subtracted from the larger one to make a "(Curves)" object (note the plural) consisting of two paths. Alternately, you could create an editable "(Compound)" object by subtracting with the alt/option key held down.

Attached is a small AD file showing three vector objects. The "Closed path" object was created with the Pen tool in line mode by clicking where each corner of the path should be. (It is not a perfect hexagon; it was just done freehand.) Note that it is a single path. The two "Hex" shapes were created with the Polygon tool.

None of the objects currently has a fill, but you can select the "Closed path" object & add a fill color to it to "paint" it. For the two Hex shapes, you could do the same, but by converting them to a Curves or Compound object first, the area in their center will remain unfilled, which I assume is what you what.

logo example.afdesign

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I approached it a little differently than R C-R, but his use of the pen tool is good to point out.

I set up a grid with 4 divisions every 72 points. I turned snapping on.

I used the polygon tool set to six sides. Fill set to none, stroke set to 1 pt. I drew the 2 larger nested hexagons. Then I drew the larger of the small pair over the others, and subtracted it from them. This resulted in a closed shape. I redrew the hexagon, and placed another on it.

See results attached.

post-34886-0-79420800-1487158831_thumb.jpg

FWIW, spend some time exploring the built in shape tools. There are a great many things that can be made just using them, and adding, subtracting, etc the shapes. Those tools are one of AD's strong points.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I used the Pen tool for the larger shape because I wanted to demonstrate that at the points where it intersects with the smaller one, you can overlap the edges. Once both shapes are filled, with the larger shape below the smaller one, the overlap won't be visible. This can be useful when it would be more difficult to align the edges exactly.

post-3524-0-35228700-1487161852_thumb.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

FWIW, spend some time exploring the built in shape tools. There are a great many things that can be made just using them, and adding, subtracting, etc the shapes. Those tools are one of AD's strong points.

That's how I approached it. I drew two concentric hexagons with the Polygon Tool and subtracted the smaller one from the larger one, and then overlaid a smaller pair on top:

post-8358-0-11646100-1487167958_thumb.png

After performing a similar subtraction on the smaller pair, I selected both objects and used the 'Divide' command to isolate the chevron from the overlapping section so that I could delete it:

post-8358-0-91181100-1487169093_thumb.png

I then selected all of the remaining objects and added them; I found it necessary to bend one of the lower line segments a little, so that there was a proper overlap with the tiny rhombus on that side. Finally, I removed the red fill (which was only there as an aid to construction) and increased the weight of the black stroke:

post-8358-0-62588300-1487170453_thumb.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)