You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

(AD) Distance from another object during a nudge

Using the move tool and a nudge AD shows the distance on each side of the selected object.  This is really handy when trying to center the object.  But depending on the background in the second these are shown I can barely have time to read the digits on one side or the other, not both to see if they are close enough to being equal.

I find I nudge back and forth a few times before I know what they both say.

Is there a way to get them to stay visible longer?  Maybe freeze the screen?  Is there a way to change the color, against an image of the sky they really are invisible?  Is there a way to change the size?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

Instead of nudging, why not simply use the Move Tool with snapping enabled? You'll get green dimension lines when the middle object is equidistant from the ones on either side.

Alternatively, go to the Arrange dropdown on the main toolbar and use the alignment options there.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Alfred Yes, but sometimes exactly half isn't what is wanted.  Maybe 2/3 or 3/4, 13%, etc.  The nudging works better because it has more control and versatility.  Again the alignment only works in specialized situations.  I used to copy down the pertinent location numbers for X and Y from the Transform info then do the math and move the object by feeding the calculated numbers into the transform.  But I figured with the numbers AD now is supplying I should try to make use of them.

I've tried using the dimensions given by holding down the cmd key with the cursor in the vicinity of the object, then moving the cursor into the object, move the object, then move the cursor out of the object, press cmd, check the dimensions, then moving the cursor into the object, move the object, etc.  The numbers then stay long enough so reading isn't the problem.  But it's not really much less hassle than with the nudge, maybe more.  And that way with all the repetition (that I'm trying to do as quickly as possible) I find that I duplicate a lot of objects by not releasing the cmd key soon enough before performing a move.  But at least then I keep the duplicate object that is closest to what I want and delete the rest of the duplicates and the original.

There must be some way to get the nudge to be usable.  I was hoping someone would have found a way.  Like maybe the developer.  :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ideas Alfred.

Mike

Perhaps if you reduced the size of a single nudge. Probably not as precise as getting 1/3, etc. But a closer approximation, tho' lots of sub point or pixel nudges.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

I used to copy down the pertinent location numbers for X and Y from the Transform info then do the math and move the object by feeding the calculated numbers into the transform.

You don't need to do the math, Mike: you can ask AD to do it for you. Please see the Help topic "Expressions for field input".

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Well what I do is make note of the node location (X and Y) of the two nodes on one or two objects that I wanted to use to reference the location of the object I was trying to position.  And if I wanted the upper right corner to be 3/4 of the way between the other objects pixels in the X dimension and 150 pixels above the other object.  Then I would calculate the offsets and feed the +/- offsets into the X and Y fields for my new object.  Unless I could use variables to store the pertinent node locations handling this in an expression would be most difficult.  Easier with a pencil and paper.  Granted many people now days may wonder what a pencil is...  But I'm from a very different generation.

Here's a work around that might be useful.

W. snapping on, draw a rectangle between the two object which snaps to their boundaries. You now have an object that has the dimensions you would other wise have to figure. That object can easily be resized. Say W *.25, H *.13. After the transform, there is now an object for snapping the originals into new relationship.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet