You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot manipulate photo after making selections

To have some fun with my 7 year old, and also as a learning experience, I wanted to take a photo of him and make his eyes glow yellow.  So I did the following in AP for Windows version 1.50.45:

1. Opened a .jpg of my son.

2. Used the Marquee tool to make selections around both of his eyes.

And now I cannot manipulate the photo at all.  I was trying for an "inner glow" effect.  But I can't even paint the photo, either inside our outside of the selection.  I tried flattening the layers, but that had no effect.   I looked at some selection tutorials, but was not clear on what I am doing wrong.

Can someone tell me where I'm going wrong with this?

-Thanks

The good thing is, it is not a bug.

Right click your layer, and select, "Rasterize." Each layer in Affinity Photo must have "Pixel" in its set of parenthesis in order to be edited. 

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

The good thing is, it is not a bug.

Right click your layer, and select, "Rasterize." Each layer in Affinity Photo must have "Pixel" in its set of parenthesis in order to be edited. 

I was able to select "Document/Rasterize" from the menu.  I was then able to paint in my selection.  But when I tried the inner glow effect, nothing.  I need more practice!

-Thanks

Did you make a new layer before you  made the selections?

Did you deselect after you filled the selections?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

You need to have some non-transparent pixels for the "Inner Glow" effect to work on. Instead of adding an empty pixel layer after making your selection, use the Duplicate command (Ctrl+J on Windows, or Cmd+J on a Mac) to create a copy of the eyes on a new layer, and then apply the effect to that new layer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I'm sure it's a very silly question, but just to be sure, did you adjust the Radius slider for the Inner Glow?

Also, since you used the marquee tool, I'm assuming you want to edit a particular section of your photo, and not the whole image. Copy that area with the imaged layer selected and paste it in a new layer, and then apply the Inner Glow.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!