You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Major updates timeline?

Is it possible to share info on when Affinity thinks to launch major updates (2.0, 3.0, etc) and the frequency? Really don't want to sound rude, but it would feel like a bummer when I buy the software on a certain day, only to find out that a week later a major update is launched.

Maybe share on what kind of policy the Affinity team / Serif company has on this, like, do you prefer building up a loyal user base over a large sales base, and thus possibly thinking of telling on the forum the date/week a major update will come out, or do you prefer a large sales base, which means that customers might possibly need to buy versions back to back within a very short timeframe?

Again, don't want to be rude, I just want to know the human side of the company, which I find important too  :)

• Staff

Rest assured your investment is a good one. We are adding many more features to version 1 before we even consider version 2. (see here and here)

Life beyond version 1 is clearly sensitive company information that our competitors would like to have, but I don't think I would be breaking any confidences by saying that version 2's are not due in the near future. We have already said that we are working on Affinity Publisher and iPad versions of Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer, so 2017 is already quite busy for us. https://affinity.serif.com/about/ 

The human side of the company is that we are a small software house who are adding features to version 1.x until it the suite of 3 applications exist as a cohesive whole. This blog post and this one from 2015 give some more insights into some of the programming team leads and what drives them.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon