I watched the opening tutorial that shows how to use the tool. I cannot get the red cover to do anything, just stays clear. The tool shows 

and followed the tutorial but no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Don

Hi dmcguiney,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure the layer you are working with is a (Pixel) layer - look at the label in parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel. If it's identified as an (Image) layer right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer. You can then use the Inpainting Brush as you'd expect. Only Pixel layers can be edited/manipulated at a pixel level. Image layers are considered objects and retain all original image attributes - they can only be transformed globally (rotate, scale, skew etc).

Thanks to all. I have another major problem (for me), I must have hit a key that causes the right hand panel not to show and 

I don't know how to get it back. The top and left hand side appear to be ok.

Thanks from a novice.f

Don

On the 'View > Studio' submenu, the 'Hide Studio' option (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+H on Windows, and presumably Cmd+Shift+H on a Mac) toggles the visibility of the panel groups on the right-hand side of the workspace.

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.8.2.174 • Designer for iPad 1.8.2.4 • iPadOS 13.3.1 (iPad Air 2)