You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Single Colour Picker - adjustment- Photo

I may be missing a trick here. would like to be able click on a pixel on the photo and change the colour/tone of that pixel together with all similar colours in that picture - say all the green grass - just cant find how to do that. I would say I love the software and still getting to grips with it.

may also be useful if some clever people could help is simple people by providing a list of basic things to do to a photo in order of action so we dont try and adjust things in the wrong order and then get lost in the whole thing- if that makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Rusty Arrow,

Welcome to the forums.

You can use the HSL adjustment, selecting Greens on the dropdown menu and adjusting. Then switch to the Paint brush Tool and make sure the colour is set to Black and paint overs the areas to recover the colour, avoiding the greens. See this video tutorial for some more information.

Having a specific eyedropper tool would be very beneficial though - especially if you wanted to select a very specific colour.

High-End Photographic Prints

Rusty Arrow,

Regarding line 2 of your initial post - make sure your main image layer is selected, then click on Layer > New Adjustment Layer > HSL Adjustment

In the HSL panel which appears, you can then change where it says "Master" to "Greens" for example, and then play with the sliders. This however, will change ALL greens in the image - therefore - you may want to create a selection on the main image layer beforehand, in order to only apply the HSL adjustment to the area(s) you need.

Alternatively, you could create a mask layer on the newly created adjustment layer, and then use the brush tool to paint (black) in any parts which you do not require the colour change to apply to.

I am not 100% sure of exactly what you are trying to achieve, but give my example a try, as it may be what you need.

Hope that helps.

High-End Photographic Prints

There is also in the select menu> select sampled colour. You can alter the tolerance. 
Then you can add a HSL adjustment or  a recolour adjustment layer or fill with colour and play with the blend modes.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 2 weeks later...

There is also in the select menu> select sampled colour. You can alter the tolerance. 

Then you can add a HSL adjustment or  a recolour adjustment layer or fill with colour and play with the blend modes.

Hello, thanks this is as close to what I would like to do, ideally select one pixel of a colour (say green) and alter the tone/brightness all pixels in the image with that have the same colour. I can do that very easily in the Nikon software Capture NX-D

thank you will play further- great product if one could could only remember everything!