You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo will not start

After installing the beta I am unable to start Affinity Photo on my stationary computer (win 10).

When launching the program nothing happens, no spash screen, nothing.

In the Affinity "Appdata" folders I find a log file, a systeminformation file and a .dmp file. Do not really want to post these files here as I assume they contain information about my computer.

Also installed the new Designer just released (non beta) and have basically same issue with this, will not start.

Both betas (Photo and Designer) as well as the newly released non-beta Designer work fine on my other computer (Dell Laptop, win 10).

For some reason it is failing to load the splash screen image. Was any application previously working? Have you installed any updates since?

Up until yesterday I only tried the betas of Photo and Designer on my other computer, a laptop, and there they work perectly fine.

So no, none of the two applications have worked on this computer at all since installing them.

After experiencing the problems I tried updating the gaphics card driver, since I suspected a graphics issue, but no change.

Unfortunately I bought the new Designer that was just released without first verifying that the betas worked on both computers, so now I am also left with a license of Designer that only will start on one of two computers :(

Seems it could be solved by just installing some windows component.
(anyway, when sth like that it happens to me I check the task manager to see if the executable is actually running, but silently. )  

I don't know, to throw some ideas (from someone who shouldn't do so ;)  ) :

- If that component gets installed with .net, maybe that was installed wrong at its moment, so an uninstall of AD, reinstall of the .net (proper version and language), then reinstall of AD could be in order.

- if does not come from a optional or recommended windows update (if does would be a matter of installing that update), maybe can do the usual sfc /scannow thing, that actually fixes it if some windows system file is missing or wrecked. You need to run cmd as administrator (right click, run as administrator over the icon of a black console/monitor in "Accessories", if still is there in win 10). Full tutorial here, for Win 10 :

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/929833

Maybe after running it stuff gets fixed for your case (or fixes sth that later on asks you to do an optional or recommended update which is the actual component. Am speaking generally for other fixes that i made from time to time)

- It seems in some cases an application could overwrite standard WIC and that's causing the issue. Specifically an image viewer, fast viewer of fastpicture viewer, can't remember. If having sth like that installed, easiest would be to  uninstall, see if then AD runs.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem but with the final version of Affinity Photo for Windows (purchased two days ago). It starts on my laptop but nothing happens on my desktop. The Windows log for applications talks about EventID 1026, .Net Runtime etc. Affinity, please help!

Thanks for answering. Isn´t it strange that I can open all my programs (On1, PSElements, Lightroom etc. etc.) except Affinity Photo without any problems? I use Windows 10 (1607 14393.479). I attach the log.

Grateful for a quick fix.

Log.pdf

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.