You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush Force pressure to control size - doesn't work properly

Hi,

The Brush Force pressure to control size option works fine on the first image after startup, but not on any other opened after that. If I restart Photo then Force pressure works again (on the first image).
I'm running Win 7 and Photo 1.5.0.35 with a Huion New 1060Plus.

• Staff

valsimot,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

I don't think this is a known issue, so can anybody else please confirm this. If not we will investigate it ourselves soon. Thank you

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just checked here, it works (Win 7 home premium, AP 1.5.0.35, gtx 275, Intuos Pro XL )

Tested in several images.

One note : Please check your driver's panel settings for this application or in general, try several Huion pressure settings, maybe is too hard, or to subtle.

Also, I do recommend, personally, to use the advanced settings instead of this overriding button, as I think they allow rather more control over your painting. So, what I recommend: disable that circle icon besides "More" button, and hit this MORE button. Now you are in advanced brush settings. In the first tab, I tend to prefer spacing 1 or 2%, quite low. Then size and opacity as you prefer, but for the sake of testing, perhaps better at high opacity and a big size to see clear differences. Now to the interesting tab, the one saying DYNAMIC. There's where you make your brush behave more natural.  Seems acumulation + flow together, set in the setting at the right (deployable option lists) as PRESSURE, so that at least the 3 first settings (size, accumulation and flow) are controlled by your huion pen pressure. Also you will see just at the right of each, there's like a diagonal icon, a graph. Hit it , so you can modify the pressure curve.  My best experience is making those VEEERY "sinked" , and that together with setting your huion at very low pressure -high sensitivity- will do a nice effect of pressure affecting opacity (in accumulation and flow) . If not interested, because you are inking comics or other pure ink line art, you don't want opacity variation, so, set these two to zero, the bar slider totally to the left, (no need to change the pressure settings and curves, as this deactivates them) but yest set the size, so, first setting, to 100%, all to the right the slider, set it to be affected by "pressure" and set the curve surely as very convex, not straight diagonal, so to have maximum variation. Or just experiment your self changing there stuff.

But if you use the circle icon in the top bar instead, I believe you override these settings. I learnt that that's not what I want.

Check if the layer you are in is a pixel layer, and if not, create a new one.

Also, to eliminate posibilities, when this happen to you next time, please, go quickly to test in another application, which you know has pressure sensitivity, that there is still working well, so to be sure is not that your general driver is loosing pressure sensitivity for some reason.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

@SrPx Thanks for the info, I'll look into that.

But I would like to clarify, the Force pressure option always works on the first image, even if I open 5 more, just not on the others. I can switch between images and it works on image 1 but not on the others.

My process:
open 1st image -> enable force option ->works

open 2nd image -> force option already enabled from before -> doesn't work

switch back to 1st image -> works

switch to 2nd image -> disable and enable force option -> doesn't work
switch back to 1st image -> works

I'd make a video, but I don't see how you could tell my pen pressure...

First works, the other opened images wont while keeping them all open, as if is loosing it for next instances... yep, that sounds like a bug... Will try to reproduce here now....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Ok... with the settings as I told you, in my machine (windows 7 home premium (not win10)) , so, not using the top tool bar circle icon, but the advanced "more" settings for brush pressure... No, I don't loose pressure behavior in a second image opened. Will try now disabling all advanced , using only the button of the top bar that changes only brush size, will report now here.

ARGH...

heck, I was hoping to be able to reproduce it...

But nope, here, I open an image, set all advanced settings to 0, then set the circle top bar icon as checked.  I paint over 1st image, brush size change with pressure, as expected. I open a second image, and works perfect, too....

Only think I can think of, in the area of the workflow, is that I have already set it with advanced settings. Could some of you try and deactivate the top bar icon, and activate the DYNAMIC tab settings after hitting the MORE button, setting those to use "pressure", and even changing the tiny icons with the pressure curves besides...? As here is not failing.... I mean, could be that even if I have em to zero now, it is still making influence, and so that I still seeing it acting right..

Or that you are on windows 10, am with win 7...

Or my intuos pro XL instead of another intuos and a huion...

There's obviously a different factor that is the culprit...

YAY!

caught it.

I think.

It does make what u describe if you have each as a internal separate window, it does not happen if they are organized in tabs. I prefer files as t abs for the way I work. So , yep, it happens when they are as "windows" .

Please, try to organize it as tabs, it should keep the pressure.

...to do  so, just grab the window, drag it over the one that is fitting the whole application canvas, and if there's none, easily make one so, by just draging the title bar just below the top icons bar, it will make all canvas blue, indicating it will fit all in there. Then do with the next one, and so on. If close them later all being so, it will always open like that next time you open a bunch of files.

So, having all files as tabs...yep, pressure is not lost, nothing to do with your windows or tablet.

Only thing is, once a file has loaded with no pressure, you wont get it back if you set file as tab. You need to open as a first thing as tab to have pressure sensitivity.  leave at least last files as tabs, so it remembers, then close those too, and then open a bunch, it will open in a tabbed way, pressure is kept in all. 

My theory : Seeing how it makes independent windows in the Windows task bar, is somehow making independent process of each file, to the point they are not keeping the pressure setting.

EDIT: And yep, could be a thing to fix. (IMO others are more important, though, specially when seems there's a workaround, for now.)

Hi SrPx, so glad you could replicate the issue, I have a knack for finding/running into obscure issues :/

I agree this is far from a "blocker" issue, even if there wasn't a workaround, it's more of an inconvenience...

Thanks

Actually, I am not related to the team or company in any way  :)

Just was curious, and yep, it seems to be a bug. :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.