You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Multi] Button for "full screen" view

In several of my graphic applications, there is (or can be placed) on the toolbar a button that makes the entire document essentially fill the available screen area.

In Affinity Photo beta 1.5.0.35, I do not find such a button, nor any way to add it. In fact, there does not seem to be any menu commend to do that.

If I am missing where this is, I would be glad to learn of that.

If not, I feel it would be very desirable to have a button (or keyboard shortcut, or both) that would makes the entire document essentially fill the available screen area.

It might also be worthwhile to have a button (or at least a menu item) that displayed the document "pixel-for-pixel", as that is often a needed situation.

By the way, I think that the ability to save and then recall "views" is very useful. It does not however conveniently fulfill the capability I discuss above.

Best regards,

Doug

No, my point was not how to get a larger working space (although it is nice to know how to do that).

It is how to get the "zoomage" that makes the image essentially fill the working space, the situation in which I do much of my work.

Thanks.

Doug

Hey Doug, a little off topic but I found that you can double click on a layer and it zooms to the extents of that layer. I find that really useful.

I agree though that it would be nice to be able to customise the top toolbar with any commands (I'd like save, undo, redo, zoom all/in/out) all available from keyboard I know but I'm lazy! :)

Regards

Hi, Harry (?)

Hey Doug, a little off topic but I found that you can double click on a layer and it zooms to the extents of that layer. I find that really useful.

Ooh! I didn't know that. Neat - O

I agree though that it would be nice to be able to customise the top toolbar with any commands (I'd like save, undo, redo, zoom all/in/out) all available from keyboard I know but I'm lazy! :)

A very few things can be put on the top toolbar with View>Customize toolbar. But most of them are already there by default.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Doug

Hi, Chris,

Hi dougkerr

This is on the Mac side, bu this is more a feature of the OS rather than our app. I'll move this over to the feature requests thread for consideration 

I dunno exactly what you mean "this is on the Mac side". Was I on the wrong forum?

I'm not sure what you mean that is a feature of the O/S. I can't imagine that in my other apps that offer this that it is not managed by the app. For example, when this is exercised, the image window is usually not made to fill the available "screen space" but rather to fill it with some arbitrary "margin". It seems unlikely that the O/S API would offer such. But then I am not very much of a programmer.

By the way, as I report above, I discovered that AP does in fact offer this functionality. There is just no button to do it (but there is a KB shortcut).

Thanks for looking into this.

Doug

Hi,

I'm so used to ctrl +s, ctrl+o, ctrl+n that icons would be slower for me... used to Photoshop habits, I guess.

Sure. And I find that, for each app, I use an inexplicable combination of KB shortcuts for some things, toolbar buttons for others, and menu items for others.

Then, one day, I will change that, and start using a KB shortcut for something that, on that app, I had previously usually done with a button.

I guess this is a part of the human condition.

But in so many apps I have become "spoiled" by the available great flexibility in customizing the various toolbars.

Doug

I believe he might have meant that the source code or libraries come from the Mac side, inherited somehow when ported to Windows. Not that you were not in the right forum :). Perhaps the save, open, new file, etc, in a toolbar is added by calling some internal library/controls, and then is just a matter of adjusting to one or another OS, not so much about the core image editor application code, and that's more in the line of what he meant ? But surely miles away from exact, as I have no knowledge of programming, either.

While we are at it, and as I see you are interested in zoom / fit related features, excuse me if this is obvious for you and already knew it, but seems they had the very good idea of keeping (once more) Adobe's widely known manners in terms of fast fitting the canvas :  double click the magnifying glass icon in the vertical tool bar, it zooms to 100%. Double click in the hand icon (the one for panning, at the top of the vertical tool bar) and it fits to how the entire document at whatever zoom needed. You can also have the navigator always visible, at the right vertical panel, for an extra control over panning and zooming the document.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Hi,

I believe he might have meant that the source code or libraries come from the Mac side, inherited somehow when ported to Windows. Not that you were not in the right forum :). Perhaps the save, open, new file, etc, in a toolbar is added by calling some internal library/controls, and then is just a matter of adjusting to one or another OS, not so much about the core image editor application code, and that's more in the line of what he meant ? But surely miles away from exact, as I have no knowledge of programming, either.

While we are at it, and as I see you are interested in zoom / fit related features, excuse me if this is obvious for you and already knew it, but seems they had the very good idea of keeping (once more) Adobe's widely known manners in terms of fast fitting the canvas :  double click the magnifying glass icon in the vertical tool bar, it zooms to 100%. Double click in the hand icon (the one for panning, at the top of the vertical tool bar) and it fits to how the entire document at whatever zoom needed. You can also have the navigator always visible, at the right vertical panel, for an extra control over panning and zooming the document.

On the Mac and OS thing, sure.

Regarding the "Abobe manners", I never thought of these (as I try and use as few Adobe apps as possible, with the exception of Acrobat),.

I see now how these work in AP.  I"m never quite sure what zoomage "100%" is, but I see I get it with a double click on the "magnifying glass". And I see I get "fit the screen" with a double click on the pan hand.

Yes, and I never pay nearly enough attention to "navigators".

Thanks for filling me in on these "secret handshakes".

Speaking of "just what is 100% zoomage", I am also interested in the "pixel size" zoomage. One might think that this would be "1:1" image pixels to display pixels, but it is not.

Ah, but it looks as if that only works out if the display scaling is set to 100%, while mine is 125%.

Aargh!

Best regards,

Doug

You are welcome. Well, for Adobe PS users (using it at work) that combo of tips is by far not a secret thing  ;) ;)

The key is that if you go knowing tricks here and there, in the end you can finally build a workflow with which you are comfortable enough.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.