You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do you delete an adjustment layer without deleting the original?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Click on the "FX" icon next to the layer you applied the effect on and then just hide any effect you don't want any more in the Effects panel. Hiding them actually removes them.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff

Hi jackamus,

Expand the "original" layer in the Layers panel so the adjustment layer becomes visible/selectable, then click on its thumbnail to select it. Press the delete key on your keyboard, or click the Trash icon on the bottom of the Layers panel or drag it over the Trash icon on the bottom of the Layers panel to delete it.

There isn't an FX icon next to the layer.

The adjustment layer I used was the 'Exposure' feature and I want to get rid of it.

If I go back and do it again I then get another Adjustment layer.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

A better question would have been: How do I edit an Adjustment layer if I am not happy with the original result?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Clicking the actual Adjustment thumbnail rather then the layer did the trick thanks.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Thanks MEB.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Oops. I misunderstood. This was the same issue I was having just a few hours ago. The adjustment layers and crop masks can be selected and edited by clicking on the thumbnail, not just the layer. I learned that today myself.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!