You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I thought it would be nice if there was a way to have designer show us or warn us if we use lines that are too thin to be printed (not a warning every time you use or make a line though). I was thinking something like a gamut warning in a photo app. If you selected the "line warning" in the Views, it would highlight lines that might be a problem if they went to print. That way we would know which lines to make thicker. I worked for a publishing company before and one problem that we often had was designers would use lines that show up on screen but wouldn't print because they were too thin. 

Hokusai

Fixx,

Full preflight would be great but would it detect lines that are too thin and then tell you which lines needed to be thickened? I never noticed preflighting software having this ability before but maybe I just missed it? I haven't used any preflighting software in a few years so maybe it does do this now?  

Hokusai

There is a special line thickness/designation called hairline as found in most vector drawing applications. Though a given application may/will show a thickness for it in design view, it actually has no set thickness. It is special in that it will always image at the thinnest line weight the output device is capable of reproducing.

Not to say preflight conditions wouldn't be a nice addition. This could/would extend well beyond just specifying warnings of line weight.

One can use Acrobat to preflight for, and fix if desired, thin lines. This also applies to full-featured preflight software.