You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why Star Time JL for missing fonts

Hi,

when i try to open a PDF in AD 1.5.0.10, Star Time JL, a font pretty hard to read, is in every row for replace Fontfamily in the open dialog box.

That doesn't make much sense? What can i do to change this, I didn't find an option in preferences.

Also, its not possible to work with AD here on my maschine, when imorting a 200 and more pages PDF file, the program is hanging.

All the pages are displayed on the artboard in miniature, after 1 - 2 minutes or so. Scrolling in the layer tab is nearly impossible, AD is hanging

again, it feels, the program is overstrained concerning large PDF files.

Win 10, 8GB Ram, i5-3570K (3.4Ghz)

post-172-0-27425500-1470517553_thumb.png

It's far from obvious to me how the program chooses its suggested replacements. I don't have any Gill Sans fonts installed here, so when I open a PDF containing fonts from that family, AD wants to replace GillSansDisplay-ExtraBold with Encorpada Pro ExtraBold, GillSans-Light with Accent SF Regular, and GillSans with Sniglet Regular. :lol:

The suggested fonts are entries on dropdown lists, so you can simply choose whatever other entries you prefer.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.3.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

The mac version always chooses Arial, and it is currently down as a 'bug' that Windows is different. I'm not sure what decision will be made about missing fonts, as for some languages Arial is far from ideal.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

The mac version always chooses Arial, and it is currently down as a 'bug' that Windows is different. I'm not sure what decision will be made about missing fonts, as for some languages Arial is far from ideal.

PagePlus reports that the Light and Extra Bold fonts in my test file are embedded in the PDF, but it wants to substitute Arial for Gill Sans Regular. According to my PDF viewer, all three fonts are available as embedded subsets, but one of the objects is CID-keyed (which PP has never handled properly).

Alfred spacer.png

Ok, thanks for your replies, Alfred and Patrick. AD replaces missing fonts, although checkbox "replace missing fonts" is unchecked.

I think AD may be failing to make the clear distinction that PP makes between replacement and substitution.

Alfred spacer.png

Some notes: Affinity doesn't currently support embedded fonts in imported PDF. If you change the replacement fonts when opening the PDF, Affinity should remember and default to using the same replacement if it sees the same font in future PDFs. If that isn't happening, on either Windows or Mac, it's a bug. If you don't replace the fonts while opening the PDF, then fallback fonts get used at draw time instead. You don't get any control over those, and the import isn't able to match text flow in the PDF with how Affinity flows text.

If you change the replacement fonts when opening the PDF, Affinity should remember and default to using the same replacement if it sees the same font in future PDFs. If that isn't happening, on either Windows or Mac, it's a bug.

I've just tested this in AD on Windows beta 1.5.0.10. It doesn't remember my changes, even in the same session, regardless of whether or not I check the 'Replace missing fonts' checkbox.

Alfred spacer.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.