You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to clip a group?

Hi!

I need to clip a rectangle not just on a simple vector layer, but on a whole group of vectors. This is usable to create shadows like on the picture. The dark rectangle should be visible only on the legs, not anywhere else. Is it possible?

Thanks!

post-2138-0-90795200-1414226916_thumb.png

• Staff

You could use the layer(s) with the legs to mask the shadow object.  You would need to create a duplicate of the legs - so you've got the original and one to mask the shadow object with.  Like I've done here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbfdomf1cx4a1w9/ClipOnGroup.mp4?dl=0

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Short answer: nope. A group is two (or more) vector objects. But what you asked can be done. It just means unlearning a lot of other vector app's ways of doing things.

First off, AD allows us to have vector objects: either an "open" curve (i.e. a line) or closed curve (one that describes a shape and is filled). So what you want to do is to be able to have 2 different objects on a single object layer. 

What I've been doing with my art is in cases like this (two objects that need one shadow) is to just use the combine operation (if they don't overlap). I created a file that may help and show how I do it and attached it to this post.

Some downsides to the combine method: the fills and strokes will be the same for both objects. You could add an "coloring" object above the curve that is to be a different color, but that can make things confusing unless you are obsessively naming your layers. However, by being clever with a gradient (for both fills and strokes) you can have both legs be slightly different in color.

The best way that I've found is to just not combine like objects, and add the "masking" objects individually to each layer. It may take a bit more time, but you can add a bit of individuality to each separate object. That makes the drawing/art look more lively and less copy & pasted.

I hope it answers the OP question.

(edited to add more info and to be a bit clearer)

castshadowMasking.afdesign

Edited by CartoonMike

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?