You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Connecting Nodes Within A Curve?

How do you connect two end nodes of a curve?

I created two curve objects and combined them. Now I want to make the two polygons into one big polygon. I tried breaking each curve at a node, selecting the two end nodes and clicking "Join Curves" but nothing happened. "Close Curve" just closed each polygon individually. I also tried first moving one node exactly on top of the other to no avail.

The only way I found out how to do this is to duplicate the curves object, delete all of the nodes from one polygon from the first object, delete all of the nodes from the other polygon from the second object, select the two end nodes and click "Join Curves".

Is there a faster way to do this?

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

• Staff

Hi hawk,

With snapping enabled, select both paths, change to the Node Tool and drag one of the end nodes from one path over the end node of the other - the node should become yellow when they snap - then drag a marquee selection around them with the Node Tool (to select both nodes) and click Join Curves in the context toolbar. For the other "side" just drag one node over the other. Affinity will automatically close the shape for you.

Hi, MEB. Thanks for your reply. What you said only works for separate curve objects. If the curves are already in the same object it does not work. To show you what I mean: https://gfycat.com/SatisfiedInconsequentialImago

What you said also doesn't work if one of the curve objects contains more than one curve.

Am I wrong in putting multiple curves in one object? Is it recommended to use groups and compounds instead?

♥️Affinity v2; macOS 14; ⌨️🖱; recreational user since 2014.

Am I wrong in putting multiple curves in one object? Is it recommended to use groups and compounds instead?

The simplest way to combine two curves like in your gif is to make sure they are separate objects, if necessary using the Divide boolean if they are currently a "curves" object, move one of them or edit its nodes until it either touches the other curve in at least two places or overlaps it, & then use the Add boolean to combine them into a single shape.

(If they only touch at one point, they will not be combined into a single shape -- you will just get another "curves" object.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7