You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Creating a border around my painting

I'm trying to add a border around my painting so that the image won't stretch. My goal is to put this image on a cosmetic bag that which I will be selling if I can get this figured out. The company that I am working with is telling me that the image area needs to be

Image Area 6.5 H X 10.4 W 

Critical Area 5.28 H X 8.78 W

RGB 300 dpi and a jpeg

I"m totally new to any kind of editing and am not very good at it... but I'm desperate to figure this out because my I'm running out of time. Can someone Please offer me some advice... I'd so appreciate it! 

I basically started painting this past year because I got into a really bad accident... I've created a body of work and I believe that I can sell my images on cosmetic bags, pillows etc... I'm working with an on demand site... but it's not generic like red bubble... They have very specific instructions and i just can't figure it out... 

i have attached one of my paintings so that you can see what i mean... When they sent me a sample... the image got stretched out and looked cartoonish... not what i'm looking for... 

The first image is my original painting

The second image is the sample that they gave me 

The third image is the one that I tried to do but as you can see... I have no idea how to use this program... 

I'm a quick learner but I"m also a clicky clicky kind of learner which has made this very difficult with the added pressure of my injury and needing to find income fast! post-30938-0-18766400-1464247517_thumb.jpgpost-30938-0-31281400-1464247739_thumb.jpgpost-30938-0-53840900-1464247792_thumb.jpg

Hi ginacapo,

and welcome here …  :)

As you said, the main problem is that your original painting does not have the aspect ratio your print shop demands for producing the bag. When you place your image in a document of the required aspect ratio, you will see that the image does not quite fit. And the print shop simply seems to stretch your image to make it fit the desired ratio. Which is very unfortunate …

Therefore I would suggest that you might do the following:

• Create a new document, set the required document size, and make sure that the document is RGB, 300 dpi.
  • Place your image by selecting File > Place …
  • Now resize your image proportionally, such that the lovely portrait is placed where it should appear. It would be important to know how this bag is actually sewed, in order to understand where the face has to be placed for the intended result.
  • Clone the missing background texture.
  • Go to File > Export …, and export it to the JPEG format with high quality settings.

Hope that helps …  :)

Alex

Edited by A_B_C

Oh my goodness, I mixed up width and height in my original post. I am sorry. You should actually use Leigh’s method, which means you will have to clone some of the background texture. I edited my post in order to minimize confusion …   :)