You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I just purchased Affinity Photo 2 because I heard it's the best alternative to Photoshop/Lightroom.

However, after installation, I'm noticing none of my DNG files are opening in Affinity Photo 2. I'm getting a "The file type is not supported." message with no other information.

The DNG photos were taken on a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra phone, not sure if that matters.

Any words of advice would be appreciated. Do i need to install a plugin that I was not made aware of?

This one seems strange as I just processed a whole series of .DNG files taken with the Halide App in iOS. 

Maybe, if you are on windows you need some specific other software to read and open .dng files.

is .DNG in captials or .dng in lowecase?

Could it be a naming issue. 

Can you see the DNG files in a simple image viewer app on your computer?

I'd check those things first. 

As far as I am aware the Samsung Galaxy S24+ Ultra is not a supported camera yet but the Samsung:

• Galaxy S23+
  • Galaxy S23 Ultra

are supported in the 2.5.0 version of Affinity Photo, v2.5.0 is still in beta at the moment.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Abdul Sadiq said:

The DNG photos were taken on a Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra phone, not sure if that matters

it certainly does

dng files from a device rely upon the raw converter being able to handle the format which it currently cannot
dng files from Adobe DNG converter work so try that

S24dng.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

12 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

it certainly does

dng files from a device rely upon the raw converter being able to handle the format which it currently cannot
dng files from Adobe DNG converter work so try that

S24dng.png

Oh okay, I didn't know that about .dng files. Thanks for the information.

Do you know if the Adobe DNG converter (or any for that matter) reduces the quality of the photo at all in the process of conversion?

13 hours ago, David Battistella said:

This one seems strange as I just processed a whole series of .DNG files taken with the Halide App in iOS. 

Maybe, if you are on windows you need some specific other software to read and open .dng files.

is .DNG in captials or .dng in lowecase?

Could it be a naming issue. 

Can you see the DNG files in a simple image viewer app on your computer?

I'd check those things first. 

The '.dng' extension is lowercase and I don't think it's a naming issue since the same file opens up in Lightroom on my S24 Ultra and yes, it opens up fine in the regular/native Windows Photo app that any other image opens in.

One of the repliers advised I should use a converter to convert the dng files to ones that Affinity can open. As long as they don't compromise the quality of the photos, I'm fine going that route

26 minutes ago, Abdul Sadiq said:

Do you know if the Adobe DNG converter (or any for that matter) reduces the quality of the photo at all in the process of conversion?

Dng files are not all the same. A dng from a device like a camera or mobile is a raw. A dng from Adobe DNG converter has been demosaiced, white balanced and whatever elsed, I think of them as tiffs in a dng container, I doubt if you'll notice a quality difference

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 hour ago, David in Яuislip said:

Dng files are not all the same. A dng from a device like a camera or mobile is a raw. A dng from Adobe DNG converter has been demosaiced, white balanced and whatever elsed, I think of them as tiffs in a dng container, I doubt if you'll notice a quality difference

I appreciate all that information, David!

I'll try out the converter tonight (is there a specific one you recommend ... or the Adobe DNG converter you mentioned is fine?) and I'll see if I notice any quality drop.
I kinda wish Affinity would just natively have support for all dng files ... or atleast have a built in converter. Perhaps in the future it will ...

Thanks again and cheers!

The problem seems to be that a DNG file from the Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra is actually a JPG XL file in a DNG wrapper.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 hours ago, Abdul Sadiq said:

The '.dng' extension is lowercase and I don't think it's a naming issue since the same file opens up in Lightroom on my S24 Ultra and yes, it opens up fine in the regular/native Windows Photo app that any other image opens in.

One of the repliers advised I should use a converter to convert the dng files to ones that Affinity can open. As long as they don't compromise the quality of the photos, I'm fine going that route

You got some great advice in this thread. 

1 hour ago, David Battistella said:

You got some great advice in this thread. 

Yeah I really did. This community seems great for quick and effective support!

I ended up getting the Adobe converter thar was mentioned, converted my dng files and now I can open them fine Affinity!

Thanks again everyone!