You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have to apologise if this has been asked before. I know I have asked a similar question before, I've trawled through the similar posts but can't fix my problem. I'm making an order of service for my brother's funeral so it's important to me, can't get the front image to sit centrally on the cover. Im using a laptop, windows 10, cannon ip8750printer that loads from a rear tray. Printing on plain paper with the margins removed (unticked) in the affinity designer A4 document. I've included a screen shot of how it looks (looks fine on the screen) and then what it looks like printed. Apart from the colours being a bit of a washout, the main issue is that it prints off to the left. If i can get that right I'll fel a bit better about my crap stapling skills :) 20240427_150920.thumb.jpg.bdcf32d4544351d6751a32633aded86f.jpg

Screenshot (32).png

@itsRachel Rachael, here is what I do to print cards, which need to be centered. I'm using a MacBook Pro and a Canon Pro-100 printer, so I'm not sure if your settings and printer capabilities are the same. 

After opening the Print dialog box, I set my paper size to Borderless. This ignores whatever borders the printer may set for first line, last line and width. Then you can scale it manually, or print to fit, etc. If I use just a regular letter size, the printer doesn't seem to center my print. Perhaps there are better ways, but this works for me. 

Borderless.thumb.png.ee49cd38589385bcdb7030ec7daedc74.png

Next, I select Printer Options from the Print dialog box and open up Borderless Printing. 

PrinterOptions.png.02b46361f9dac9a57c8d491c1e5f9260.png

I set my "Amount of Extension" to Min. This slider controls how much your image is expanded when printing. If you set it to a higher value (Max or closer to Max), it will ensure some ink actually sprays outside the border of your paper so you don't have any white edges showing. I always set mine to Min (or zero extension) because I don't want to increase the size. This works on my printer and on my system.

MinBorderless.png.675c7547757a91072b621a87abab8f5c.png

When I send a file to my printer, the actual printed dimensions match my original document dimensions. It also centers the document on the printed page. I hope this works for you. If your printer is different, you may have to fiddle with the settings. 

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish

1 hour ago, itsRachel said:

the main issue is that it prints off to the left.

In your sample print the yellow border appears to be cropped at the right edge which might indicate that the right margin has to be larger than the left margin and the printer doesn't print with identical min. margins on all 4 edges. – Do you know if your printer generally can print with margins as wanted?

As workaround you could try to reduce the scale (print size) with the goal to get the image moved to the centre of the sheet.
Or you try the N-Up model with its left/top-offset options:

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-27um18_08_01.thumb.jpg.3e956502b6a337a3ed895174d9be7a47.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

In your sample print the yellow border appears to be cropped at the right edge which might indicate that the right margin has to be larger than the left margin and the printer doesn't print with identical min. margins on all 4 edges. – Do you know if your printer generally can print with margins as wanted?

As workaround you could try to reduce the scale (print size) with the goal to get the image moved to the centre of the sheet.

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-27um18_08_01.thumb.jpg.3e956502b6a337a3ed895174d9be7a47.jpg

This just reminded me that I once had to print another document with the file in affinity in portrait (instead of layed out in landscape) and i've just tested that with a simple boarder and it seemed to work. Annoying as it is much easier to work on landscape and i haven't found a way of working in landscape and switching the whole document to portrait for printing. Hopefully that will work for the whole job, I will be testing it all out tomorrow. Many thanks for your time :)

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

Thanks for that, Tomaso. What I suggested works well for what I do, but that is a good option to know about. It never occurred to me to use an N-up model for a single image, but it gives you a lot of control over the margins and positioning. Nice.

2017 15" MacBook Pro, 16 MB RAM, Ventura v13.6.6, Affinity Photo/Designer/Publisher v1 & v2, Adobe CS6 Extended, LightRoom v6, Blender, InkScape, Dell 30" Monitor, Canon PRO-100 Printer, i1 Spectrophotometer, i1Publish