You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 - Mask changes when converting document to 16-bit

Hello,
I've got a document where the masks change (white patches appear) when the document's bit depth is changed from 8 bits to 16 bits. Hardware Acceleration/Open CL compute in Settings is turned off. Please check the attached file. 

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the file.
  2. Go to Document > Convert Format / ICC Profile...
  3. Change format from RGB/8 to RGB/16.
  4. Check the masks. White patches will appear in the masks.

convert-to-16-bit-mask-changes.afphoto

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

I see only 2 unsharp mask layers, but nothing else so the canvas is completely empty.

Can you provide more details, including screenshots showing the before / after state?

Did you attach the correct file?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

And i see you have a blend range active on one mask.

Bit depth changes may change blending results as rounding of values near zero or near 1 may have big impact

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

I see only 2 unsharp mask layers, but nothing else so the canvas is completely empty.

Can you provide more details, including screenshots showing the before / after state?

Did you attach the correct file?

Yes, it was my intention to leave only these layers. I've stripped away all unnecessary layers from the file as they don't contribute anything to the bug report. No screenshots are needed. Just follow the steps I've provided and you'll be able to reproduce it.

7 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @Alex_M,
I've reproduced the issue here and I'm logging it to be looked at. Thanks for reporting it.
I'm assuming it works fine for you with CL compute turned on? It works fine here.

Thank you! Yes, when I use OpenCL acceleration this problem doesn't appear (although I have other issues happen sometimes with OpenCL enabled so I leave it off).

Affinity Photo 2.4.2 for Windows  OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 ver. 22H2  CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core  RAM: 64 GB DDR5-6400  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB / driver 526.98  NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB  Monitors: 2x Eizo ColorEdge CS2420 24"

4 hours ago, Alex_M said:

Yes, it was my intention to leave only these layers. I've stripped away all unnecessary layers from the file as they don't contribute anything to the bug report. No screenshots are needed. Just follow the steps I've provided and you'll be able to reproduce it.

I tried but was unable to reproduce on iPad, Mac, and Windows 10 PC (see signature for specs). As MEB could, it does not matter. But out of curiosity i would really like to see a screenshot what "white patches" appear for you.

Sure, see below.

convert-to-16-bit-mask-changes-before.thumb.webp.34fea2e08814bc2e15cabc361e594917.webpconvert-to-16-bit-mask-changes-after.thumb.webp.3960b34f8199865426c46f2ca2b7e3e3.webp