You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I came across a way to fatten font on YouTube -- by simply adding a 'stroke' to the text, same colour, and expanding it that way.

Might there be another way? The client wants to use a very thin font (Futurism), but needs it to be thicker/bolder while maintaining sharp edges.

And I want to be able to add a colour gradient to the text, which I can't do when using a 'stroke' to make the text thicker.

Any ideas?

Ben

Hi Wonderings,

Thank you most kindly. I get the concept of using a stroke to fatten a font. But if I want to have gradient colour in the text then adding the stroke doesn't work, coz the stroke doesn't take on the gradient (I don't think, I will try it) ... and I end up with a thin gradient text with a stroke outline.

I'm needing to be able to create text with a colour gradient ... that is bolder / fatter than the original font, which is way to skinny.

I can do that?

I'll have to figure it out. But if you say it's doable, that's a big inspiration to try, thank you. Any hints on how one might do that? I Googled it for half an hour last night and couldn't find instructions or a tutorial.

Absolutely amazing thomaso ... thank you thank you!! I'm rushing out the door to a meeting, but the first thing I'm going to do when I get back is follow your instructions. I'm a happy camper. This is an important project and I was grinding my teeth thinking I couldn't do this.

Will report back once done.

Lovely movie anto. Zing zing zing! Terrific. Am using the technique this morning. With thomaso's suggestion I now have 3 ways to do something I thought would be impossible to do. I'm a really happy camper. Thank you anto and thomaso!!

2 minutes ago, benged123 said:

I now have 3 ways

It might be worth to mention that the (any) FX method will cause rasterisation on export.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yo thomaso,

Okay. I'm just starting to try this now. Two things: would your way allow me to export without rasterizing? And ... can I output some format (that is not rasterized) that can be read by MS Word? Or PowerPoint? I think they are working in Word and mastering out as a PDF.

Ben

Hey Thomaso,

I'm trying to use your 'assign gradient to fill and to stroke' method. I can easily get the gradient to fill on the text ... but I don't know how to 'assign' the gradient to the 'stroke'. I can't quite figure it out by your graphics. My setup seems slightly different, or I'm not understanding how you did your graphic? See attached for my setup.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 11.52.38 AM.png

With the text frame selected switch to the Fill Tool to apply the gradient. It shows in the Context Toolbar a menu to choose Fill or Stroke. Means you need to apply both (2 steps).

Bildschirmfoto2024-04-18um18_12_40.jpg.4a6f8a1d40e0dccc2f444bc8a0ba555b.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Aha!! Thank you kindly thomaso. I've got it now. Do you know if there is a way to keep a record of the colours chosen? E.g. in Pages, or even in Affinity Photo I think, wherever one selects a colour there is an included drop down that allows one to save a colour. So, in this case, when I'm trying to match the fill with the stroke gradients ... I don't have to copy down numbers, but can just choose with a click a previously chosen colour?

5 hours ago, benged123 said:

Do you know if there is a way to keep a record of the colours chosen?

In the Swatches panel, there is a field Recent, where you'll find the lastly used colors or gradients. 

Affinity Suite 2.4 – Monterey 12.7.4 – MacBookPro 14" 2021 M1 Pro 16Go/1To

I apologise for any approximations in my English. It is not my mother tongue.