You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I think I shocked Affinity Photo's HDR Merge function - Software Crash

On trying to merge 2 images using HDR merge that were produced by the G'MIC engraving function in Affinity Photo version 2. The software just seemed to disappear out of existence. Maybe it feinted? Were the images too rude? or is this a bug lurking in the software?

Over 18s only please try this out with the images in the zip file. If you are offended by a depiction of a lady's gluteus maximus then you won't like the images. You have been warned.

I probably have just offended the software.

GMIC.zip

Note: the stack function worked as expected.

The images are in no way technically suitable for HDR merge. One is black/white with hard contrast on artificially created edges which do not match the other color image. So this  is a kind of creative abuse widely out of expected  specification for HDR merge.

But it may depend on the chosen settings before starting HDR, please provide a screenshot cropped to the relevant part of the merge UI before clicking “go”. (Align images, go into tone mapping persona).

Spoiler

IMG_0990.jpeg.3d8c6c9e0c387d25f599d22d0ada6845.jpeg

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

One is grey/8, one is rgb/8 color format.

so please use at least the same color format for all.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Never the less, i tried on iPad and it works (all sliders to off, no alignment or noise reduction).

Depending on which image you select first, the resulting document will be either grey or color.

it is possible to enter tone map persona.

Spoiler

IMG_0988.thumb.png.09b6f8bc3f6f40ea6c2a86d42ad206fe.png

Tried on Windows 10 and get the crashing.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

@Archangel I'm not getting any crashes on macOS or Windows using those images within the HDR Merge feature (default settings). But as @NotMyFault has suggested, they aren't the type of images usually used for HDR merging which includes having different colour profiles.

Open Photos Settings > Performance if Hardware Acceleration is enabled, try turning off and restarting the app and repeating the process.

2 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Archangel I'm not getting any crashes on macOS or Windows using those images within the HDR Merge feature (default settings). But as @NotMyFault has suggested, they aren't the type of images usually used for HDR merging which includes having different colour profiles.

Open Photos Settings > Performance if if Hardware Acceleration is enabled, try turning off and restarting the app and repeating the process.

My machine doesn't have acceleration support. It's open cl isn't supported by affinity.

I will keep tweaking to identify what works and what doesn't.

@NotMyFault You were right. The output from the G'MIC extension seemed to be at fault.

Loading each into Affinity Photo and re-saving stopped the crashing. Changing to the same image format also helped.

Using the Stack function gave me the result I was looking for using the images.

@Lee DLooks like we've identified the issue, although why it causes some machines to crash and others to not crash remains a mystery.

As far as I'm concerned the issue is solved for now.

Thank you all.

• Staff

@Archangel I've installed the G'MIC plugin and processed some images within Affinity using the plugin and then used them in a HDR merge. But I'm still not getting any crashes occur on my Windows 11 system.

Could you follow the steps in this FAQ article to check for a crash report for when this occurs for you.

6 hours ago, Lee D said:

@Archangel I've installed the G'MIC plugin and processed some images within Affinity using the plugin and then used them in a HDR merge. But I'm still not getting any crashes occur on my Windows 11 system.

Could you follow the steps in this FAQ article to check for a crash report for when this occurs for you.

I tried to repeat the crash using the zipped images today (on my first post). It only goes wrong when the greyscale image is first in the HDR merge list followed by the colour image.

I finally got a crash report for you.

301d4f8b-198d-4579-8bdc-26184f865b2a.dmp