You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text flow/ text wrap issue with footnote

This is a bit different than yesterday's footnote and text wrap issue.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/202051-footnot-empty-space/#comment-1200080

The grey rectangle can be removed and the text frame with the footnote shortened. There also seems to be a strange overset issue with the bottom of column feature.

I have to run but I'll look at this more a bit later.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.5, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 minute ago, MikeTO said:

This is a bit different than yesterday's footnote and text wrap issue.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/202051-footnot-empty-space/#comment-1200080

The grey rectangle can be removed and the text frame with the footnote shortened. There also seems to be a strange overset issue with the bottom of column feature.

I have to run but I'll look at this more a bit later.

Yes indeed, I extended the intermezzo frame for convenience while I work on the layout and add images (it's just to park text temporarily). Either way, there are text flow issues.

This appears to be a bug with the Square text wrap option. For now, please use Tight and it will work fine.

For Serif, here's a modified test document. Page 2 will flow correctly when you open this but if you change the text wrap setting for the green frame from Tight to Square, it will not flow below or to the right, only to the left and above.

Text wrap bug mod.afpub 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

Here another bug which may be unrelated but it came up when I was testing this document. Open this document and drag the bottom middle size handle up so that the note reference will be overset. The frame height doesn't change as it should.

[EDIT - the text frame is in a group because it was grouped in the original document. The issue won't occur if ungrouped so it's just an issue of the frame with note not responding to a change in the group height.]

note2.afpub

Edited by MikeTO
added a note

20 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

I have an issue where adding a footnote to my document interrupts the flow of the text in the document. I have simplified the file by adding the pages to a new document. As you can see in the video, it's not like the footnote has a text wrap applied to it.

I think this may be related to AF-2639 reported here...

The problem is with Groups... the reason @Intuos5's document uses a Group is because the grey background has rounded corners which isn't achievable by applying a background colour to the text frame alone...

In this instance if the Tight Text Wrap isn't an option a workaround is to apply the Square Text Wrap to the Text Frame within the Group rather than to the Group itself adding a suitable 'Distance from text' Bottom offset...

Recreating the sample file in v1 and opening in v2 doesn't appear to exhibit the issue...

Sample File Created in V1, Opened and Saved in V2

Here applying the Square Text Wrap to the Group works as expected...

Text wrap bug v1.afpub

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

MacBook Pro M3 Max, 36 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, Magic Mouse

32 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I think this may be related to AF-2639 reported here...

The problem is with Groups... the reason @Intuos5's document uses a Group is because the grey background has rounded corners which isn't achievable by applying a background colour to the text frame alone...

Indeed, that's the main reason why this is setup the way it is, otherwise I'd have used a coloured text frame.

46 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Indeed, that's the main reason why this is setup the way it is, otherwise I'd have used a coloured text frame.

If you apply the Square Text Wrap to the Text Frame within the Group does it then work as expected?

Perhaps a better workaround is to convert the Rounded Rectangle to a Text Frame then the text frame no longer needs to be grouped but you can still apply the background colour to the text frame without the text wrap issue...

Text wrap workaround.afpub

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2449) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2449)

19 minutes ago, Hangman said:

If you apply the Square Text Wrap to the Text Frame within the Group does it then work as expected?

It does, yes. With all types of Text Wrap.

21 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Perhaps a better workaround is to convert the Rounded Rectangle to a Text Frame then the text frame no longer needs to be grouped but you can still apply the background colour to the text frame with the text wrap issue...

Text wrap workaround.afpub

That works as well, however, with a converted shape you can no longer adjust the rounding of the frame. Ideally, text frames themselves should allow for rounding – as well as text styles when you fill a frame (in which case the frame stays rectangular but its fill isn't).

9 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

That works as well, however, with a converted shape you can no longer adjust the rounding of the frame. Ideally, text frames themselves should allow for rounding – as well as text styles when you fill a frame (in which case the frame stays rectangular but its fill isn't).

You can still adjust the rounding of a converted shape by selecting the Rectangle Tool and adjusting the corner setting in the context toolbar though I agree, it would be great if you could apply corner shapes directly to text frames using the Text Frame tool...

15 minutes ago, Hangman said:

You can still adjust the rounding of a converted shape by selecting the Rectangle Tool and adjusting the corner setting in the context toolbar though I agree, it would be great if you could apply corner shapes directly to text frames using the Text Frame tool...

That's something I keep forgetting about. Anyways, added the text wrap to the converted shape and added another shape below in the group with no fill or stroke to more easily align the bottom of the text frame to the baseline (so I don't need to use transforms when I use the group's handles instead).

5 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Anyways, added the text wrap to the converted shape and added another shape below in the group with no fill or stroke to more easily align the bottom of the text frame to the baseline (so I don't need to use transforms when I use the group's handles instead).

You shouldn't need to add any additional empty shape below the converted shape to achieve this... as long as your converted shape height is fractionally less than multiples of your Baseline Grid value you should be good to go unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to achieve...

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

You shouldn't need to add any additional empty shape below the converted shape to achieve this... as long as your converted shape height is fractionally less than multiples of your Baseline Grid value you should be good to go unless I'm misunderstanding what you want to achieve...

In my case the text frame's bottom should not align with the baseline grid 😉

37 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

In my case the text frame's bottom should not align with the baseline grid 😉

Would setting the Note Position to Below Text and a Min Gap Before offset work?

MinGapBefore.thumb.png.99a3e83256ff3c5d765b2f31bc7d1499.png

There is another related bug with footnotes. If you group a text frame that has a footnote and overset text, the bounding box changes for the group selection.

Steps to reproduce

1. Create a text frame in a new document
2. Fill the frame with text (e.g. lorum ipsum generated) and make sure it has overset text.
3. Add a footnote to the text.
4. Group the text frame
5. Switch to the Move tool and notice how the selection's bounding box changes between a selection of the group and that of the text frame within the group.

Overset text and footnote bounding box.afpub

It looks as though the bounding box for the Group is that of the Text Frame along plus the overflow text when created from scratch or duplicated from your original...

There is something very odd going on though with your file.

If I expand the text frame so there is no overset text then remove the text frame from the group, regroup it and reduce the height of the text frame to force overset text the footnote splits in two resulting in a second pinned section from the same footnote appearing in the Layers panel...

21 hours ago, Hangman said:

There is something very odd going on though with your file.

I literally created this from scratch in a new document assuming these were the steps to produce the issue. I'm on Windows though.

Just now, Intuos5 said:

I literally created this from scratch in a new document assuming these were the steps to produce the issue. I'm on Windows though.

Out of interest, do you see the same issue when you duplicate your Group?

22 hours ago, Hangman said:

If I expand the text frame so there is no overset text then remove the text frame from the group, regroup it and reduce the height of the text frame to force overset text the footnote splits in two resulting in a second pinned section from the same footnote appearing in the Layers panel..

Can't reproduce this.

30 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

Can't reproduce this.

I think it's simply because 'Allow split footnotes' is selected so likely expected behaviour...

Do you have a sample file or can you reproduce this with the file you uploaded previously?