You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Brush Defaulting to No Fill When Selected

So if I go into Pixel Mode and select a brush I'm brushing away there and as usual nothing is appearing on my screen

Often this is because of something I've forgotten to set

If it isn't then it's usually then because the software - even though the colour palette is set to a colour - defaults to Fill None until a colour is selected - even if it's the one already selected on the colour wheel I have to go in and re set it to the same colour ( usually white or black initially )

Can the software not just be set to default to whatever is selected on the Colour picker - and if I don't want that colour or Oops I forgot to change the colour then I can just go and change it - as I apparently have to do anyway before I can see what brush strokes are laying down - why would I choose a brush and then start putting down strokes with No Fill ??? can it not even just default to black or something instead of No Fill ?

Can the devs please just fix this in the next update because I've been using this software for 3/4 years now and I still struggle with getting the pixel brush to work - I'd just like to be able to go in to Pixel mode and everything just works without having to bugger about nearly every time it seems

A seamless experience with Affinity software is what I aspire to greatly but it just always seems to throw something at me

It also used to add pixel layers automatically but now it doesn't and I can't remember where the setting is for that so if anyone could remind me thanks

• Staff

Thanks for your post @awakenedbyowls!

15 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

If it isn't then it's usually then because the software - even though the colour palette is set to a colour - defaults to Fill None until a colour is selected - even if it's the one already selected on the colour wheel I have to go in and re set it to the same colour ( usually white or black initially )

Can the software not just be set to default to whatever is selected on the Colour picker - and if I don't want that colour or Oops I forgot to change the colour then I can just go and change it - as I apparently have to do anyway before I can see what brush strokes are laying down - why would I choose a brush and then start putting down strokes with No Fill ??? can it not even just default to black or something instead of No Fill ?

I'm not seeing this behaviour here - when selecting the Pixel Tool in the Pixel Persona of Designer, the default fill colour (black) is applied to my strokes.

Are you able to provide a screen recording showing the behaviour you're referring to please?

If you navigate to the Designer Persona, then select the Move Tool. With this enabled, navigate to Edit > Defaults > Factor Reset - you should find that the Colour options are reset to the default Black/White.

Now, return to the Pixel Persona, select the Pixel Tool and begin painting - you should find this uses the default Black colour to paint, as expected.

15 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

It also used to add pixel layers automatically but now it doesn't and I can't remember where the setting is for that so if anyone could remind me thanks

Under Edit > Settings > Assistant, ensure the Assistant is enabled with the checkbox at the top of the dialog, then the Painting with no layers selected option needs to be set to Add new pixel layer and paint :)

@Dan C

What does Factory Reset do? I don't really want to click that and end up losing brushes palettes and stuff

Anyway I just tried it again without Factory Reset and it seemed to default to black this time - I don't know why it wasn't before or sometimes doesn't - just seems like constant problems getting the pixel brush to lay something down but hopefully if I get into a method then it should start working better

Got the Pixel Layer to add automatically again now though cheers

17 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Under Edit > Settings > Assistant, ensure the Assistant is enabled with the checkbox at the top of the dialog, then the Painting with no layers selected option needs to be set to Add new pixel layer and paint :)

Why is it Add new pixel layer and paint under ‘Edit > Settings > Assistant’ on Windows, but Create pixel layer and paint under ‘Settings > General > Assistant Options’ on iPadOS? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
On 4/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, awakenedbyowls said:

What does Factory Reset do? I don't really want to click that and end up losing brushes palettes and stuff

This returns the Tool settings to their default values - for example with the Text Tools selected this will set the Font to Arial at 12pt etc.

It will not affect your custom brushes, palettes, assets etc.

On 4/6/2024 at 12:23 PM, awakenedbyowls said:

Anyway I just tried it again without Factory Reset and it seemed to default to black this time - I don't know why it wasn't before or sometimes doesn't - just seems like constant problems getting the pixel brush to lay something down but hopefully if I get into a method then it should start working better

I'm glad to hear this! Of course should the issue return then please let us know and we'll be happy to assist further :)

On 4/6/2024 at 12:31 PM, Alfred said:

Why is it Add new pixel layer and paint under ‘Edit > Settings > Assistant’ on Windows, but Create pixel layer and paint under ‘Settings > General > Assistant Options’ on iPadOS? :/

The UI teams are different between desktop and iPad - and I suspect this was simply overlooked. I'll get this logged with the team now!