You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What Size .png Files For Creating Brushes?

I'm playing around with brushes and building up some brush sets from things I've already designed

Should I make these from .png files the largest size I expect to use the brush for, ie. I've going along the principle that the largest brush width is about 4,000 pixels so I'm taking vector shapes and rasterising them on 2000px square canvasses with the image in the centre with around 1000px maximum width or height so if I use a smaller brush it's not scaling anything up

Is that too much - ie. will it impact performance and slow things down if I make these too large?

Everything is a compromise. Large brushes have a performance impact relative to the areal size of the brush image. Make a wise choice of brush size. Offer multiple sizes if relevant, e.g. 360px up to 8x 360px.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I think you'll find when using too large of assets for a brush that typically will be used at a radius much smaller, you will not find the quality is better... it's best to pick a size that matches up with the intended use case of the brush. The only time maybe to use something super large is it is an "asset" brush in the sense that you are pasting large photographic-style elements on the canvas... so like a brush that prints nebulas, similarly highly detailed elements would use a large radius, but it would drop them in one at a time or very slowly/sporadically... something that you will use to render (ie. paint) on the canvas, you should pick the size closest to the size range that the brush is intended to be used at so as to not be too taxing and so that an appropriate amount of detail is still seen...