You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Old images with Epson sRGB causing Photo 2 to crash

Using Affinity Photo 2 ver 2.4.0 on MacOS 14.4.
I can reproduce the bug.
Hardware acceleration off/on doesn't affect it.
Affinity Photo 2 will immediately crash when attempting to open certain specific png files I have, although they open fine in Preview. The files were created by a scanner in 2013 and have the colour profile EPSON Standard RGB. Other pngs of similar size from 2013 and earlier from different scanners open fine and do not cause this bug.

The specific PNGs cause a similar crash in Affinity Photo 2 on my iPad. However, my brother is able to open and edit them in Affinity Photo 2 on his Windows computer. If he saves them as an .afp file without changing the colour profile, I am able to open them on my Mac but they crash immediately when zooming in or attempting to convert colour profile. If he changes the colour profile before resaving the files, they are able to be opened and edited on my Mac with no apparent problems.

cormorant1Fullsize.png

Edited by a47579

Hi @a47579 and welcome to the forums,

Are you able to upload a sample image so we can take a look and test?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi @a47579,

Apologies, your image is visible but I just wanted to be sure that the Forum wasn't affecting the uploaded image in any way...

This certainly appears to be a bug... I can happily open your file in Photo 1.7.3, 1.10.8 and 2.0.4 and it shows the 'EPSON Standard RGB - Gamma 1.8' profile but when attempting to open the file in 2.4.1 and the 2.4.2 Beta with Hardware Acceleration both on and off I likewise get an instant crash...

Having said that, if I create a new image using the EPSON Standard RGB - Gamma 1.8 profile in Affinity Photo v1 or v2 and export it to PNG, it opens without issue in v2 so I'm unsure of the cause of the crash for your particular files in v2...

This will need to be investigated by the moderation team who should log this accordingly to be fixed in a future update.

Crash Reports

Affinity Photo 2 Affinity Store-2024-04-02-092809.ips

Affinity Photo 2 Beta-2024-04-02-092926.ips

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Using AFPhoto 2.4.1. on a system running Windows 10 the original PNG opens without any issues, hardware acceleration turned on. It shows that tht file ist using the mentioned Epson profile.

By the way nice drawing …

2 minutes ago, MiWe said:

Using AFPhoto 2.4.1. on a system running Windows 10 the original PNG opens without any issues, hardware acceleration turned on. It shows that tht file ist using the mentioned Epson profile.

Looks like a Mac-specific issue in that case...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[MacOS] Importing Images using EPSON Standard RGB - Gamma 1.8 Profile causes an app crash " (REF: AF-2655) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.5.0.2430".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Affinity Info Bot to notify us.