You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Updating Version 2 through Mac App Store?

I realize that when Version 2 of the Affinity apps for macOS was released, there were good reasons why it wasn't available in the Mac App Store. I understand that the EU is compelling Apple to relax its policies governing the App Store. Are there any plans to distribute updates there? It's so much more convenient to receive a push notification regarding updates than to have the question pop up when one has work to do and launches the app.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

From what I've read, V2 has been available in the Mac App Store from the very beginning, @Richard Liu. And it is regularly updated there whenever updates are made.

What Apple region are you in, and are you sure it's not available where you are? It is a separate application, so you wouldn't be prompted to update from V1 if that's all you've purchased from the MAS.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt,

I believe I took advantage of an offer from Affinity, made simultaneously with the announcement of Affinity 2,  to acquire the whole Affinity 2 suite for installation on any and all supported devices. This offer evidently didn't qualify for inclusion in the various app stores at the time, but perhaps that has been changed.

Richard Liu

MacBook Pro 16" 2021 M1 Max | macOS 12.3.1 | BenQ SW271 | Affinity Photo 1.10.5

If you really want it from the Mac App Store, you should be able to install from there, and if permitted to purchase after you run it just say you already have a license and sign-in using your Affinity Store email/password.

You may need to uninstall your current Affinity V2 applications first, though. And probably migrate your preferences and user-installed brushes, assets, styles, etc. from their current locations to new ones. 

This FAQ would help you locate them: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1