You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Power duplicate text in/on shapes

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @Sitaara. :)

If you group the text with the shape and then duplicate, the result will be a duplicate of the group. Resizing that group will retain the ratio, and power duplicating will continue to retain it at the new size(s).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Posted (edited)

Hi @Alfred !

Thank you for this warm welcome. And many thanks for the quick answer.

I have already grouped, but I don't remember which attempt. During further attempts, I realized that there is nothing to group: as soon as something is written on it, the shape disappears and only a text-layer is left.

Maybe it's easier to see what I mean and what's happening through pictures. The first image is how I get it with power duplicate, the second one is how I imagine it should be, like I adjusted line by line.

Perhaps the solar flares have caused a disturbance in my gray cells. 😬

Sitaara

Forum pow.dup.text 01.png

Forum pow.dup.text 02.png

Edited by Sitaara

Power Duplicate will scale the size of text in Art Text but not Frame Text, Shape Text and Path Text (despite the Art Text Tool being used to create Path Text).

Workaround: apply Convert To Curves command to the Path Text before doing the scaling power duplicating.

Hello @lepr,

Thank you for your help. Of course, I also tried converting to curves. The problem is that the text does not adapt completely to the (power duplicated) shapes. I'll go on adjusting it manually if I want it to be exact.

Sitaara

2 hours ago, Sitaara said:

The problem is that the text does not adapt completely to the (power duplicated) shapes. I'll go on adjusting it manually if I want it to be exact.

One more workaround might help: Group the coloured curve + the curved text group before using 'power duplicate'.

groupedpowerdup.jpg.fa2720aa8326cc8e1eab39f56137ce29.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 hours ago, Sitaara said:

Thank you for your help. Of course, I also tried converting to curves. The problem is that the text does not adapt completely to the (power duplicated) shapes. I'll go on adjusting it manually if I want it to be exact.

thomaso shows the extra info that I wrongly assumed would be too obvious to require mentioning

Re-hi @lepr,

33 minutes ago, lepr said:

thomaso shows the extra info that I wrongly assumed would be too obvious to require mentioning

Even for me, the most logical thing at the beginning was to group the shape and the text. I played around with it for so long yesterday trying to figure out how to do it. Probably I lost patience (which could also due to a cold with fever, still today).

In addition, there are actually explanations for every topic (I ever searched for) in A-Help or tutorials on YT. But I didn't find anything about that anywhere.

It was important to me that you answered. I would like to thank you again for that.

Sitaara