You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

🇬🇧 Style exercise: I have had this watch for several years and I wanted to do an illustration of it. So, macro photographs, documentary research with the PDF file of the manufacturer's user manual, visuals gleaned from the web, dimensions taken directly from the watch (difficult and ineffective in the end), search for typographies (Eurostyle essentially)...

I capitalized my time by focusing on the construction of the dial, hoping that the observer would not see the less “realistic” and refined parts: I did not want to spend too many hours on this project, so I adopted a production-optimization strategy (and also on the optical confusion caused by reflections on chrome surfaces
). So I took care of the construction, the symmetries, the few textures, the elimination of right angles (which do not exist in real reality) and the coherence of the lighting. I neglected the exterior of the dial. The leather is a hack based on several compiled and rasterized visuals.

Note: I noticed slowdowns in the display of the illustration with the use of Live Filters Addition of grain and Blur (AD v2.4 - Mac Mini M1 16 GB - BenQ PD2700U 4K in HDMI).

đŸ‡«đŸ‡·Â Exercice de style : je possĂšde cette montre depuis quelques annĂ©es et je voulais en faire une illustration. Donc, photographies en macro, recherche documentaire avec le fichier PDF de la notice d'utilisateur du constructeur, visuels glanĂ©s sur le web, prises de dimensions directement sur la montre (difficile et inefficace au final) recherche des typographies (Eurostyle essentiellement)

J'ai capitalisĂ© mon temps en me focalisant sur la construction du cadran en espĂ©rant que l'observateur ne voit pas les parties moins “rĂ©alistes” et affinĂ©es : je ne voulais pas passer trop d'heures sur ce projet, donc j'ai adoptĂ© une stratĂ©gie de production-optimisation (et aussi sur la confusion optique que procure les reflets sur des surfaces chromĂ©es
). J'ai donc soignĂ© la construction, les symĂ©tries, les quelques textures, la suppression des angles droits (qui n'existent pas dans la rĂ©alitĂ© vraie) et la cohĂ©rence de l'Ă©clairage. J'ai nĂ©gligĂ© l'extĂ©rieur du cadran. Le cuir est une bidouille en partant de plusieurs visuels compilĂ©s et rastĂ©risĂ©s.

Nota : j'ai noté des ralentissements sur l'affichage de l'illustration avec l'utilisation des Live Filters Ajout de grain et Flou (AD v2.4 - Mac Mini M1 16 Go - BenQ PD2700U 4K en HDMI).

image.png.c4ce4ea5a7d5c1f502d2bb163fbfe2b9.png

image.thumb.png.9aeadd78710efa26027bd1462e49dbde.png

image.thumb.png.94fa0925ec1da0f0a486b87484c5d5e0.png

Mac Mini M1 16Go – macOS 13.6.4

Very nicely done! 👍 

The inclusion of a wireframe view is always welcome, but thin red lines on a black background are very difficult to see.

6 minutes ago, sansnom said:

I noticed slowdowns in the display of the illustration with the use of Live Filters

That seems to be a common problem.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows ‱ Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad ‱ iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)