You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I would like the index entries with topic names to be bold and the page numbers to be regular. That works by using Initial Words in the Style Panel as long as I set it to one word because when I set it to two or more (some entries consist of more than one word), the bold setting spill over into the numbers next to it. 

I selected an End Character in Initial Words and tried to enter it behind the topic names but that doesn't seem to work. 

Is there a way to achieve what I'm after?

Don't use Initial Words for this, that's not the intention of the feature.

As David pointed out, edit the TOC page number character style to achieve this.

You'll find instructions for formatting index styles in the free manual I've shared in this forum for Publisher. You can download it from the link in my signature.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

21 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Guys, I'm talking about the index, not the TOC, and I think formatting is done differently there. At least I don't succeed in formatting the entry and page numbers separately.

Oops. But yes, for the index, it's the same principle and works fine. Just edit the "Index Entry Page Number" character style. 

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Oops. But yes, for the index, it's the same principle and works fine. Just edit the "Index Entry Page Number" character style. 

Thanks for helping me out, Mike. If that's the case, I must be doing something wrong. Can you tell me how to do this, step by step?

As I mentioned in another thread, I still have difficulty with setting the character style and have it fall under paragraph style. I did read your expert guide.

To create an index with bold entries and not-bold numbers:

1. If you edited the index styles and added initial words, undo that because that will be confusing.
  2. Update the index so there is no overriding formatting.
  3. Edit the "Index Entry 1" paragraph style and make it Bold.
  4. Edit the "Index Entry Page Number" character style and make it not bold (normal, regular...)

Cheers