You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In Publisher on Mac (latest OS version, Affinity version 2.4.0) I ran into a weird problem with keyboard shortcuts.

I live in germany and use a german keyboard, but my Affinity software is set to english, as I prefer my software in english. (but as I am dutch, my OS language is actually dutch... yeah, I know, it's pretty complicated 🤪)

I wanted to create a shortcut for Preview mode, using the # button, as it is easily accesible and not used for much else. When I implemented this in settings, it shows up as # in the imput box. However, the shortcut does not work, and in the menu the shortcut next to the menu item says 3. When I then use 3 it does not work (possibly because of a conflict?).

I then tried the = sign on the number pad. In the imput field it shows up normally, but it does not work. In the menu, it now says * next to the item. When I then tried to use this shortcut, it did indeed work... ⁉️

I have no idea why this problem occurs, and have found no way to change the input setting in Affinty. I have only one keyboard installed. I know my set up is a bit uncommon, but other software does not have this problem, so I guess this should be solveable.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just bought a new MacBook Air M1 & I have the same problem.

I've imported  a shortcuts file from my old Mac mini 2011 where everything was ok, but on this computer half of my shortcuts don't behave the way they should.

Like you I have the right shortcuts in the preferences, but in the menu they are all wrong 😞

@ become 2, & become é, " become (, cmd +; become cmd+ )....etc...

I tried to start from scratch, but same problem...and it occurs too when I plug a corded apple keyboard.

I've updated to Sonoma 14.4.1, didn't see if there was the same problem with Ventura.

Clearly annoying as shortcuts are so important for the workflow.

Any input would be appreciated 🙂

Thx :-)

3 hours ago, Wanderer974 said:

Just bought a new MacBook Air M1 & I have the same problem.

I've imported  a shortcuts file from my old Mac mini 2011 where everything was ok, but on this computer half of my shortcuts don't behave the way they should.

Like you I have the right shortcuts in the preferences, but in the menu they are all wrong 😞

@ become 2, & become é, " become (, cmd +; become cmd+ )....etc...

I tried to start from scratch, but same problem...and it occurs too when I plug a corded apple keyboard.

I've updated to Sonoma 14.4.1, didn't see if there was the same problem with Ventura.

I think your problem may be different. @postmadesign's issue apepars to be with the input keyboard for specific keys (I'm sorry, I can't help with that problem).

If all of your keyboard shortcuts are messed up when you open a shortcut file it may be the shortcut file. What version of Affinity was the shortcut file saved from and what version are you loading it in? You must only open and save shortcut files from the same version of Affinity.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Hey,

Not all the shortcuts are messed up, most of them work.

I've created my shortcuts file  on AD 2.40 & High Sierra & now I run AD 2.4.2 on Sonoma.

When I reset shortcuts & start from scratch, I have the same issue.

And I've deleted my AD 2.4.0 dmg so I can't try it on Sonoma.

I have a weird stuff in OSX too, like if I try to use "go to folder " window from the finder, the enter key doesn't work....so maybe there is a deeper problem with the keyboard.

8 hours ago, Wanderer974 said:

I've created my shortcuts file  on AD 2.40 & High Sierra & now I run AD 2.4.2 on Sonoma.

You could not possibly have created the shortcuts on any version of AD 2 on a Mac running High Sierra (macOS 10.13) because as shown here, the minimum macOS version required to run V2 is Catalina (macOS 10.15).

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7