You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How use States? in Affinity Photo for example.

How use States? in Affinity Photo for example. i seem found way save states. but i understand arrow what points to right selects current state and applies it. No working tried object colour (previews of states work fine). also tried reqular text frame not possible change beetwwen two text snippets. I want answers exact States process in text and images to me most videos are way too fast. and eyes easily skip details. Like other program (not competitor any of Affinity Apps) where i tried do thing but my eyes jumped one detail.

20 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

How use States? in Affinity Photo for example. i seem found way save states. but i understand arrow what points to right selects current state and applies it. No working tried object colour (previews of states work fine).

I’m afraid I don’t understand what you’re stating(!) or asking here. Please feel free post in your native language if having difficulty expressing yourself clearly enough in English.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, MxHeppa said:

No working tried object colour (previews of states work fine).

What "preview of states" do you mean? In case of their thumbnails it is known that Affinity may delay or fail in updating a layers thumbnail image, so this might affect thumbnails in the States panel, too.

It appears that each wanted state is required to exist as separate layers in the layers panel. If you want to toggle between two applied colours of an object you need to have two instances of the object in the layers panel, for instance one layer with colour A and a separate (e.g. copied) layer with colour B.

This way "States" works different than "Snapshots" which can save & recall layers of previous document states that currently don't exist any more.

Unfortunately the "States" feature has various limitations or possibly even bugs – both may confuse when using the feature. – This video demonstrates or just mentions a few of them. For instance at 15:15 min there is apparently the colour change of an HSL adjustment layer in a certain state displayed as visible in the page layout although it is shown correctly as set to invisible in the layers panel.

1 hour ago, MxHeppa said:

most videos are way too fast

You can stop/pause them, then move the slider manually or jump through the video stepwise with the right/left arrow keys on your keyboard. Depending on the video player application the steps are either frame by frame or another distance. Some players also have an option to influence the playing speed, then it plays also the sound in videos in the according speed. For instance for youtube via the cog icon > speed setting:

youtubespeed.jpg.39d4d1cc0e6b12cf5f1e48639de8b2c6.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

i found states i can store how layer state is visible/not visible. Nothing else. slowing dopwn video maybe helps but maybe not. and paying video exact postion is also hard sometimes.

snapshots seem do what i thinked what is this point good. then case is solved expect i try learn if states allows ofter than layer visiblity and effects settings changed with presetted way.