You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Spelling None and Figure Styles

Is it to be expected, when I change the Spelling to None for a text frame, that nearly all typography options are lost? All other options on the Character panel of Language tab are set to Auto.

As soon as I change to Cyrillic, Greek or Latin in the Typography script pulldown I get all the options back. Not what I would expect from the setting Auto.

spelling-none.jpg

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

OpenType lookups can be bound to a language and script so it depends on what the font designer has chosen. It's not a perfect system because if a font designer wants to specify certain languages, they have to list all of them and there are a lot. Some apps handle this in different ways.

As a general rule, I think you'll find that:

• Adobe and Apple fonts: Spelling language has no impact
  • Microsoft fonts: Typography options depend on the spelling language not being set to None
  • Google fonts: Depends on the font

Other fonts vary.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

All other options on the Typography panel are set to Auto.

Just to confirm: I think you're referriing to the Language settings in the Character panel, not to the Typography panel?

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

Is it to be expected, when I change the Spelling to None for a text frame, that nearly all typography options are lost? All other options on the Typography panel are set to Auto.

I would expect that the Auto setting for the other options would cause them to depend on the Spelling Language that was specified. And thus, with the Spelling Language set to None, it seems reasonable that the other settings are treated as None, too.

And that matches what I see in the Help:

Language

• Choose the language whose conventions you would like your text to follow for each available pop-up menu. Separate languages can be specified for:
    • Spelling—specifies the language dictionary to be used for spelling. This will be the default used by the other language options if they are unmodified (set to Auto). It also determines which user-defined filler text, if entered in Publisher's settings, is displayed in the selected text frame.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Just to confirm: I think you're referriing to the Language settings in the Character panel, not to the Typography panel?

Yes, you are correct.

----------

8 hours ago, joe_l said:

Is it to be expected, when I change the Spelling to None for a text frame, that nearly all typography options are lost? All other options on the Character panel of Language tab are set to Auto.

As soon as I change to Cyrillic, Greek or Latin in the Typography script pulldown I get all the options back. Not what I would expect from the setting Auto.

That is because the version you have does not have a Default in the OpenType scripts.
You must have v7.504 or earlier.

Some OpenType features are appropriate for all scripts.
So those are usually put in the Default - to always be available.
Milo OT v7.504 does not have Default, it only has Cyrillic, Greek, and Latin.

Milo Pro v7.600 (now from Monotype) does have Default.
So when you select Language None, the OpenType features such as alternate figures are still available.
And you will notice that in the Typography Script drop-down there is also Default, in addition to Cyrillic, Greek, and Latin.

Auto is matching the Typography Script to the selected Language script.
So when you select Language as None, there is no script to match for Typography.
This is where the OpenType Default (script) features would then take over.

Question: Out of curiosity, what is your use case for this?
I will sometimes set language to None when there is a bunch technical stuff which just makes the spellcheck go crazy.
What prompted you to turn-off the spelling check?

8 hours ago, kenmcd said:

I will sometimes set language to None when there is a bunch technical stuff which just makes the spellcheck go crazy.

Thanks for your detailed explanation. Above is the exact reason for me changing it to None.

----------