You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo 2.4.0 Macro recording select various layers chaos

Navigating to various layers during macro recording does not work any more. For example - select top layer leads to the message "Cannot record "Set current selection" which does not make any sense. The same goes for other layer selection like select bottom, select next, select previous. This makes recording a new macro practically impossible..

If I switch off the recording, the various navigation commands in the menu for the layer stack actually work. But they do not work as soon as I switch on the recording operation. (Red button.)

I might mention that I have recorded quite a few macros in the past. But not within the last two years, so I do not know how long this problem already exists.

Old macros out of my library still seem to be running OK.

4 minutes ago, footeg said:

It works ok for me on a Widows 11 pc.

You didn't use Select > Select Top (or Bottom, or Next, ...). Those fail for me on Win 11 when recording a macro.

@simono: Those Select menu functions are new with V2, and perhaps have never worked in macros, but I haven't checked any further back than 2.3.1 in V2. Selecting layers has always been problematic when recording macros.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I don't normally use that tool. If you left click on the layer you want to select you get the options shown in the attached screenshot. That way you can select any layer in the stack in a macro. It makes it easier if you name the layers so you can select them by name.

Image 1 (2).png

Selecting layers when recording a macro works here. It doesn't matter which level is selected.

Cheers

Makro.png

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

21 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Selecting layers when recording a macro works here. It doesn't matter which level is selected.

Again, did you try using the Select menu as (I think) the OP was doing? That doesn't work for me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Again, did you try using the Select menu as (I think) the OP was doing? That doesn't work for me.

Did that ever work? I do not mean.

The one shown above is an option, a way to activate the desired layers via macro.

Affinity's macro functions have never been a highlight (e.g. it lacks the ability to edit a macro)

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3527)

28 minutes ago, Gnobelix said:

Did that ever work? I do not mean.

The one shown above is an option, a way to activate the desired layers via macro.

Affinity's macro functions have never been a highlight (e.g. it lacks the ability to edit a macro)

Cheers

Agreed Gnobelix. Trying to select a layer in a macro using the select menu doesn't work & I also don't think it ever did. Selecting by left clicking in the layer palette does work & is easier especially if the layers are named. The ability to edit a macro would be extremely useful.

1 hour ago, Gnobelix said:

Did that ever work?

It would not have been possible in V1, as those menu options did not exist then. I have not yet gone back to the initial 2.0 release to see if it worked there, but I suspect it didn't.

-- Walt
PC:

In the meantime I have found out that you can actually click on a layer bar during macro recording and a pop-up comes up with possible navigation commands. This is not the way it used to work quite some time ago. In the old version you had to go into the menu system and use menu commands instead of point and click. In the current version the developers seem to have forgotten to bind in the now more or less obsolete menu commands for navigating the layer stack. And I might mention that these stack navigation command DID exist in the menu tree. I used them - more precisely - I had to use them - for all my macros. It used to be the only way.

20 minutes ago, simono said:

quite some time ago. In the old version

How long ago? The Top, Back, etc. selections in the Select menu did not exist in V1, for example.

-- Walt
PC: