You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Designer 2 Crop tool not working?

Mac os 14.3.1

Affinity Designer  2.3.1

I swear  yesterday crop tool was working but today i can not crop anything. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I couldn't find any solutions.

it just seems like its selecting things. like a selection tool.

it IS working in Affinity Photo. i just tested that. its Designer that the crop tool seems to be on vacation.

Screenshot 2024-02-22 at 20.54.20.png

Edited by Sukavi

• Staff

Hi @Sukavi,

Thanks for your post!

I can confirm that the Crop Tool in Affinity Designer is different from the Crop Tool in Affinity Photo.

In Affinity Designer, the Crop Tool is a Vector Crop Tool, designed for cropping individual objects/layers.

In Affinity Photo, the Crop Tool is a Canvas Crop Tool, designed for resizing the canvas in your document.

Please select an object / layer in Affinity Designer and then activate the Crop Tool, you should see a blue outline around the selected object, with handles you can drag to apply a Vector Crop to that object / layer.

If you wish to crop the full canvas using a Crop Tool, you will need to switch to Affinity Photo to do this. You can send your document from Designer to Photo using File > Edit In Photo... from within Designer.

I hope this clears things up :)

18 minutes ago, Dan C said:

In Affinity Photo, the Crop Tool is a Canvas Crop Tool, designed for resizing the canvas in your document.

Because the tools have quite different results, It might be nice if the Crop Tool in Photo were renamed as something like Canvas Crop Tool, and maybe given an icon which was a bit more differentiated from Designer’s Vector Crop Tool to give users more of a chance of noticing that there may be a difference, rather than it just having some subtle shading differences as it does now.

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

Because the tools have quite different results, It might be nice if the Crop Tool in Photo were renamed as something like Canvas Crop Tool, and maybe given an icon which was a bit more differentiated from Designer’s Vector Crop Tool to give users more of a chance of noticing that there may be a difference, rather than it just having some subtle shading differences as it does now.

+100 to this!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, GarryP said:

It would be helpful. I didnt realize it was more of a  masking tool in Designer. I was using both and I guess I mixed them up.

@Sukavi, alternatively you can use artboards in Designer which will then behave and feel more like the "canvas crop tool" in Photo.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

23 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

I didnt realize it was more of a  masking tool in Designer

It's a clipping tool, not "masking".
But in all three apps you can also achieve more or less the same results by using just any given vector shape and clip other objects with it, i.e. nesting other objects as its children.

Edited by loukash
see below

5 minutes ago, loukash said:
9 minutes ago, Sukavi said:

I didnt realize it was more of a  masking tool in Designer

Here an older tutorial from v1 which explains the difference between clipping and masking:

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

The behaviour that I see matches what I would expect from masking/cropping, not clipping.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 minute ago, Alfred said:

The behaviour that I see matches what I would expect from masking/cropping, not clipping.

Argh, you're right, I'm wrong! :84_kissing_cat:

1 minute ago, loukash said:

Argh, you're right, I'm wrong! :84_kissing_cat:

What should I do to celebrate this rare event? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)