You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Running headers not always showing up

I have a book containing 12 chapters. On the master pages I have set up running headers showing the style of the chapter title on top of the pages left and right. On 7 chapters everything is working as expected, on 5 chapters the running headers are only showing up on the first page, not on the following pages. I can see when opening one of those not working chapters that <Running Headers> is shown for a sec or two, then blank.

All the chapters are layed out using the same template, and the running header frames (setup) are copied from the master pages for one of the working chapters and then copied into the master pages for all chapters.

I can't figure out what's preventing the running headers from showing up where they should.  I'm attaching one of the files that are not working. Could anybody please have a look to see what might be wrong?

Geir

Hamre fjordungskyrkje til sokn.afpub

It is because the headline/chapter name "Hamre – frå fjordungskyrkje..." is not part of the text flow, it is in a unique text frame on page one, if you connect it to the main story text then all should be fine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I think the second document is a fluke, you go lucky. Select the heading on the second document and type over it. See what happens, here the running headers on the other pages disappear.

Some advice. Do not use overrides as extensively as you have done so, your text is very hard to update because of this. Do not use paragraph returns instead of Text Wrapping for the placement of pictures. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

As for the overrides: I have been using tracking in some body paragraphs to adjust the text to column endings. But I can't find that I'm using paragraph returns instead of text wrapping when placing pictures.

Maybe a fluke, but on my end when I select the heading and type over it, the text in the running headers changes accordingly on all the following pages. So to me this seems to be normal. I'm still not understanding what's happening in the first dokument. 

• Staff

Hi @Ormhaugen,

Quite the strange one, with your 'Fjorden' file the running header at the top of page 1 is a modified master page element(Indicated by the green dotted line on the frame in the layers panel), I'm not sure what this modification was but the only way I found that I could restore the header field to correctly display the page header was to re-apply Master A onto Page 1 and then sort out the text flow again as content migration put the text body in the page number field. With that sorted the header field correctly displayed the title and was linked back to the master.

The 'Hamre' file was a bit different. To restore the running headers on subsequent pages I simply created a new text frame for the heading on page 1 and gave it the same dimensions, position and text wrapping on the page. I then copied and pasted the text content from the old header into the new one, which then immediately restored all of the running headers, and I could then delete the old text frame heading.

I've attached both updated documents for reference.

Hamre fjordungskyrkje til sokn Headers fixed.afpub Fjorden-båten-naustet-kyrkja Running header fixed on P1.afpub

Thank you Nathan for helping me understand what had happened.

In the meantime, before your answer, I had set up the 5 damaged chapters from scratch using the template for the whole book. This time everything is working OK.

The only thing I saw when exporting the whole book to PDF, was that only chapters that were opened in the book, exported correctly. Closed chapters only showed 'Running Header'. After having all chapters open in the book, the whole book exported as expected with all running headers showing correctly. But I guess that's how it's meant to work.