You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Procedural texture filter stops adding

found a strange issue.

Using a PT filter to add a small amount to selected color channels, the PT filter stops working after 32 copies.

Basic principle:

base fill layer gives R and G as zero, and B as 1 (of 255)

PT filter adds value of B to R and G channel. B values stays constant.

Use info panel to inspect color values (and your eyes to see canvas).

The filter adds up nicely until color value 32. Then it stops to add.

You may modify the base layer color values, e.g change R value from zero to 27 and result still stays at 32. So it is not depending on number of PT filters, it is depending on color values. Only when setting R to 32 you start to get higher values (after pT filter)

I use other file with hundreds of PT filters working fine. 

Mac mini M1 (2020)

Affinity 2.3.1 retail and beta 2.4.0

PT filter cannot count above 32 bug.afphoto

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I tested the same process using a channel mixer adjustment:

R=R+B

G=G+B

B=B

and duplicated the channel mixer many times. this works with any amount of layers.

Why does the PT filter gives different results than the channel mixer adjustment when using essentially the same formula?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The same file works flawlessly on iPad. So I assume a bug with Mac version.

The Problem seems to be bound to Display being in HDR/EDR mode in system settings.

After deactivating HDR mode, issue vanished.

Never the less, this should be fixed as Affinity Apps are advertised as HDR/ERD capable.

ah partially my fault. for unknown reasons, the PT filter has inherent mask with partial alpha. Probably happened by mistake when I adjusted a color layer.

Never the less, why system HDR settings make a difference is mysterious to me

4 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

partially my fault

How can you say such a thing? Whatever happened to “not my fault”?? :o

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Heros go down (c) Susan Vega

• 1 month later...