You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Newest version update (2.3.1) freezing and crashing repeatedly

2 minutes ago, edemzeus said:

it's working now

Which suggestion helped?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 2/14/2024 at 9:36 AM, NathanC said:

Thanks, if it's more of the same crashes upon creating a new doc following the driver install could you send over some more recent crash reports for comparison?

All the previous problems I had before exist still with the new driver install but this is the only crash report that exists from 2/8

405f227f-671f-48e1-85ce-d3e6e8fa3c03.dmp

• Staff

Hi @MoCoMade,

The lack of available crash reports is likely because the app is going into an unresponsive state and subsequently being forcibly closed rather than in unexpectedly closing on it's own in the majority of attempts, and the unresponsive app doesn't generate a report automatically.

You can forcibly create a memory dump file from the app which could provide us with some further insight, when the app next freezes on a new document creation or when opening an existing file if you open Task Manager and on the 'Processes' tab expand the Designer 2 tab, and then right click Designer 2 under the dropdown (not crashpad handler) and select 'Create memory dump file'. This will automatically generate a .DMP file, if you could upload it to the dropbox link below that would be great. You'll probably want to delete the file after as they take up a-lot of disk space.

Following the next app freeze if you could also provide a copy of the System and Application event viewer logs to the link it would be much appreciated, the FAQ below details how to save both sets of logs out as .EVTX files.

Upload: https://www.dropbox.com/request/h8Se9SlS0vHsJQH22dcB

Thanks!

I have the same problem with Affinity Publisher. I upgraded to the version two a few months ago once the version 1 was crashing all the time in my desktop (Windows 11) and all the serif forum solutions that I  found didn't work out for me (as uninstall basically all the windows 10 and 11 updates, or to turn off the hardware acceleration in the AP settings). The only thing that worked was to return to a very old version of AP 1, but that version doesn't allow me to use several functionalities available in other versions.  Anyway, the thing is that even though I upgraded to AP version 2 it keeps crashing all the time when I trigger certain actions as undo function. I lost so many work that I gave up moving forward. But I really want to return again because many of the templates that I use in my designs only open on APV2. I still couldn't find a solution. Could you help me? Thank you

• Staff

Welcome to the forums @TSW,

I would suggest creating a separate forum thread with regards to your issue and provide a few recent crash reports and detail on where you're experiencing the crashes as it's likely that the cause of your problem is different to that of OP and MoCoMade's (Crash/App hang on document open) and we can then assist you further. 🙂

On 2/19/2024 at 10:55 AM, NathanC said:

Hi @MoCoMade,

The lack of available crash reports is likely because the app is going into an unresponsive state and subsequently being forcibly closed rather than in unexpectedly closing on it's own in the majority of attempts, and the unresponsive app doesn't generate a report automatically.

You can forcibly create a memory dump file from the app which could provide us with some further insight, when the app next freezes on a new document creation or when opening an existing file if you open Task Manager and on the 'Processes' tab expand the Designer 2 tab, and then right click Designer 2 under the dropdown (not crashpad handler) and select 'Create memory dump file'. This will automatically generate a .DMP file, if you could upload it to the dropbox link below that would be great. You'll probably want to delete the file after as they take up a-lot of disk space.

Following the next app freeze if you could also provide a copy of the System and Application event viewer logs to the link it would be much appreciated, the FAQ below details how to save both sets of logs out as .EVTX files.

Upload: https://www.dropbox.com/request/h8Se9SlS0vHsJQH22dcB

Thanks!

My apologies for the delay I was out of town for a few days. I have uploaded all requested docs in the dropbox link you provided. Thanks!

• Staff
4 hours ago, MoCoMade said:

My apologies for the delay I was out of town for a few days. I have uploaded all requested docs in the dropbox link you provided. Thanks!

Much appreciated i'll raise these internally, just want to confirm first are you still experiencing the same app hangs in the 2.4 update that released today?

21 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Much appreciated i'll raise these internally, just want to confirm first are you still experiencing the same app hangs in the 2.4 update that released today?

Just checked and can confirm all the same issues exist for me. I'm now on newer GPU drivers as well.

• Staff

To help rule out any user environment issues and based on the .EVTX contents could you try creating a new temporary windows user (Don't need to create a whole new MS account, just a local user) and then run Designer from that user?

Thanks

7 hours ago, NathanC said:

To help rule out any user environment issues and based on the .EVTX contents could you try creating a new temporary windows user (Don't need to create a whole new MS account, just a local user) and then run Designer from that user?

Thanks

WOW. So far this has not caused any of the crashes I have been having when opening a new file or opening saved affinity files!! The question now is I guess is there is a way to fix it on my main account so that I don't have to work on a profile that's separated from where all my things are.

• Staff
5 minutes ago, MoCoMade said:
7 hours ago, NathanC said:

Thanks

WOW. So far this has not caused any of the crashes I have been having when opening a new file or opening saved affinity files!! The question now is I guess is there is a way to fix it on my main account so that I don't have to work on a profile that's separated from where all my things are.

Good to hear, though local user environment issues can be tricky to identify, it would be worth comparing what apps are running in the background on the taskbar or in Task manager on each user account.

You mentioned in a separate post these issues began around 31/01 - 01/02 so I've checked in both .EVTX logs around that time and there are reports of Corsair.service.exe faulting (A component of their ICUE app) so maybe that's a start.

I also found just before Designer 2 crashed at 04:13 on 01/02 a service was installed on windows- 'BEDaisy.sys' was installed a few seconds before, which appears to be a service related to BattlEye anti-cheat so it may be worth removing that just to confirm it's not causing problems.

I notice that you also use Google Drive, is that setup and running on the secondary user with the drive available?

33 minutes ago, NathanC said:

Good to hear, though local user environment issues can be tricky to identify, it would be worth comparing what apps are running in the background on the taskbar or in Task manager on each user account.

You mentioned in a separate post these issues began around 31/01 - 01/02 so I've checked in both .EVTX logs around that time and there are reports of Corsair.service.exe faulting (A component of their ICUE app) so maybe that's a start.

I also found just before Designer 2 crashed at 04:13 on 01/02 a service was installed on windows- 'BEDaisy.sys' was installed a few seconds before, which appears to be a service related to BattlEye anti-cheat so it may be worth removing that just to confirm it's not causing problems.

I notice that you also use Google Drive, is that setup and running on the secondary user with the drive available?

I will look into all of those things and report back and just use affinity on the alt user for now. I am so happy to have it back as I was struggling and not succeeding using any other design software in the meantime. 

I will say that ICUE and BattlEye are both things that run on my PC all the time and have for years. Obviously the ICUE is for the light system in my PC and BattlEye is the anti cheat for Escape from Tarkov which is a game I play weekly. 

Thank you so much!